What's new

Wireless Bridge to neighbors house using RT-AC87

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Judd

New Around Here
Hi,
Hoping someone could help me.
I want to use my AC87 as a sort of wireless bridge to pick up the next door neighbors wifi and have the same AC87 repeat his wireless signal around our house. Basically share the internet with them.

This is what I have so far.
-Ubiquiti Nanostation M2 (NSM)
-ASUS RT-AC87U was using Merlin's firmware however have recently changed to ASUS .5134 firmware

It doesn't seem any available firmware for the AC87 lets me do this? Any recommendations? Or do I just sell the AC87 and go for something cheap that runs dd-wrt or gargoyle.

Dunno if the GUI supports that particular feature.
I think Asus firmware could theoretically do it; use "wpa_supplicant" to connect to the AP then do some bridging and iptables magic.

Try tomato?

Repeater Mode is not available on the RT-AC87U or the RT-AC3200.

Is it at all possible? do you think it will ever become available? Or should I just sell it and get a RT-AC68? or something else?

I doubt it will appear in the stock firmware. The RT-AC87U is probably missing it due to the complexity of having two separate manufacturers for the wifi radios, and the RT-AC3200 due to limitations in SDK7 on which that model is based.

The RT-AC87U would be overkill as a repeater anyway, since your primary router most likely isn't 4x4 (and I doubt you'll be able to repeat the 5 GHz signal between two houses due to attenuation). An RT-AC68U will get the same performance.