What's new

Wireless Bridging (only wep support) and alternatives

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i.aleks

New Around Here
I think I have made a mistake. I just bought one of these (rt-ac66u - I don't have it in my hands yet) for a number of reasons. Long story short, the apartment above mine has an adsl which we share (24/1 Mbps). Because the ISPs here give some crappy hardware (and I cannot change it, the only option I have is just bridge it with PPPoE, I cannot put a dsl modem of my choice). So

1) Cannot change the dsl modem on the floor above (it has wireless though)
2) I decided to bridge that one with PPPoE and all the routing to be done from the rt-ac66u

The problem is that from what I read, the ac66u does NOT have a secure bridging/repeating function (only with WEP, and it is not secure, I don't want to use that). I sought merlin's firmwares and I didn't find a build with wireless client/bridge support (there are some experimental ones, but for n66u). The plan was to connect the ac66u wirelessly to the dsl modem above, connect to the ISP through PPPoE and use it as the main gateway and AP.

Am I correct? Should I return it and get something else? Or is there another solution? Should I wait for Merlin's potential new builds?

Thank you very much in advance, I have spent the whole last week seeking a solution to my problem (I searched the dd-wrt and tomato communities and I really couldn't find which router to get in order to have a stable network with all the features I wanted so I decided to go with a good router and its stock firmware. I just read that the netgear 6300 has some bridging capabilities?)

Asus told me that they are planning on eventually implementing Repeater mode in Asuswrt. No word on which specific model will get it however, but I suspect the RT-AC66U might get it in addition to the N66U and N16.

Recent source code changes indicate that they are actively working on Repeater Mode.

Thank for the quick reply :)

I assume I will get a cheap AP temporarily to manage the missing 'link' and wait for some updates. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!