What's new

Wireless Client Bridge set up? (without DD-WRT)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldram

Regular Contributor
Hi SNB,

I want to use my old Linksys WRT54G as a wireless client bridge to connect two gaming consoles in another room via a wired connection. The bridge would connect with my primary router, a TP-Link Archer C8. After some research I read that to accomplish this I would need to flash DD-WRT onto the Linksys router, but when I looked at the instructions and read the risks about potentially bricking my rotuer I was disinclined to use that route. Are there any alternatives that can enable me to use my old router as a bridge without having to flash it with custom firmware? I tried using powerline adapters and they did not work for my apartment (possibly due to incompatible wiring or too much noise in the circuitry). Any help would be much appreciated!

the WRT54G with stock firmware has no bridge mode as I recall from years-back when I used one.

Other than putting DD-WRT or equiv. on the old router, you could spend $30 or so a and get an 11n combo router/bridge/AP product like the ones from ASUS sold on newegg. I have one.

Did you consider MoCA?

the WRT54G with stock firmware has no bridge mode as I recall from years-back when I used one.

You are indeed correct - none of the factory builds supported bridge mode...

IIRC - both OpenWRT and DD-WRT did offer support there, but only for V1 thru V4, which have more RAM (there was a cost-reduced version that was fairly ugly - V5 and later - that ran VxWorks vs. Linux).

My thoughts though, better to put the WRT54G on the shelf, and find something a bit newer... having that device on your 2.4GHz network will impact every other client on that channel.

Other than putting DD-WRT or equiv. on the old router, you could spend $30 or so a and get an 11n combo router/bridge/AP product like the ones from ASUS sold on newegg. I have one.

Did you consider MoCA?

I'm sorry I'm afraid I'm not familiar; what is MoCA?

MoCA is similar to PowerLine, except it's over one's home Cable TV wires rather than the AC/Mains plug...
On this forum, there's a section on MoCA and Power Line devices for IP transmission on other than WiFi and cat5.

Did you consider MoCA?

As for the combo you mentioned, did you mean something like this? Will it allow me to make a wired connection as a wireless bridge to my main router?

Terminology...

WiFi bridge: wireless link to a WiFi router or a WiFi Access Point. Wired (cat5 cable) connection for PCs or an ethernet switch to enable multiple wired connections.

WiFi Access Point (AP): wired link to WiFi router. Wired link can be cat5 cable in attic, walls, etc., or IP over power wiring, or IP over existing TV coax cable in walls. Then PCs, smart phones, etc., connect wirelessly to an AP. One or more APs is the usual way to expand WiFi coverage.

Hi SNB,

I want to use my old Linksys WRT54G as a wireless client bridge to connect two gaming consoles in another room via a wired connection. The bridge would connect with my primary router, a TP-Link Archer C8. After some research I read that to accomplish this I would need to flash DD-WRT onto the Linksys router, but when I looked at the instructions and read the risks about potentially bricking my rotuer I was disinclined to use that route. Are there any alternatives that can enable me to use my old router as a bridge without having to flash it with custom firmware? I tried using powerline adapters and they did not work for my apartment (possibly due to incompatible wiring or too much noise in the circuitry). Any help would be much appreciated!

Agree about the risk of bricking the router ... I give that advice. That being said, if it comes down to the high likelihood of buying a wireless bridge and retiring the old router permanently, then give it a go. The tech is functional, but obsolete in several ways. If it works ... great. If it doesn't or if you break it ... well, you were going to toss it out anyway.

Wondering ... on the C8, if you have a wireless G client attached, will it impede the wireless N clients. If so, then toss the old router unless you need a spare. Buy a dedicated wireless bridge or a router with a bridge mode.

Moca, IMHO, is a waste of money unless you are desperate and have wiring installed and available. The throughput is, anecdotally, slow in spite of the theoretical maximums, it's expensive, and it's abandoned by manufacturers.

Agree about the risk of bricking the router ... I give that advice. That being said, if it comes down to the high likelihood of buying a wireless bridge and retiring the old router permanently, then give it a go. The tech is functional, but obsolete in several ways. If it works ... great. If it doesn't or if you break it ... well, you were going to toss it out anyway.

Wondering ... on the C8, if you have a wireless G client attached, will it impede the wireless N clients. If so, then toss the old router unless you need a spare. Buy a dedicated wireless bridge or a router with a bridge mode.

Moca, IMHO, is a waste of money unless you are desperate and have wiring installed and available. The throughput is, anecdotally, slow in spite of the theoretical maximums, it's expensive, and it's abandoned by manufacturers.

Good point; I have indeed heard that connecting a G client to my C8 will impede the N clients I have (which most of my devices are). Looks like I should just buy a bridge. Any cheap, but solid options I should look into?

Good point; I have indeed heard that connecting a G client to my C8 will impede the N clients I have (which most of my devices are). Looks like I should just buy a bridge. Any cheap, but solid options I should look into?

Not really. My personal preference is to buy refurbs and jazz them up if necessary. Most refurbs available out now have been available for a while and are probably 2nd quality as opposed to 2nd channel overstocks.

Save the receipt whatever you buy and don't be afraid to return it if needed. If problems, assume its the router, not you. Plan to spend about $100, more or less. Less if you shop well.

My other preference is to buy routers with bridge modes as opposed to wireless bridges. The latter is just a crippled router and crass marketing, IMHO. You'll have to read ads closely and refer to mfgr sites for the details. Then look at user reviews on amazon and other sites. Use google for help.

I have one of these. Used in bridge mode. Reliable.
http://www.frys.com/product/7829229?source=google&gclid=CIv2xZ7d0ccCFURcfgodYHwLkA

You can put the bridge on a different SSID and an RF channel 3+ a way from your WiFi router's SSID and channel (no auto-channel-select).

So 11g clients would not affect the 11n clients.

My wonderment was if a wireless G router / bridge glommed onto a Wireless N frequency, both 2.4GHz. Would that impede the Wireless N down to Wireless G everything?

The bridge can be set to disable 11n mode if you wish. Then have 11g clients use only the bridge.

As I understand, most all 11n routers will run 11n to 11n-capable clients even if 11g systems are present.
Your neighor's SSID might run 11g (unlikely) on the same channel as you and it would have the same affect.

I have one of these. Used in bridge mode. Reliable.
http://www.frys.com/product/7829229?source=google&gclid=CIv2xZ7d0ccCFURcfgodYHwLkA

You can put the bridge on a different SSID and an RF channel 3+ a way from your WiFi router's SSID and channel (no auto-channel-select).

So 11g clients would not affect the 11n clients.

I see. So here's what I want to do; use this router in bridge mode only, to connect my PS3 and PS4 via a wired connection. This will connect to my primary router, the Archer C8, via wireless in order to accomplish this. Will the ASUS 3 in 1 allow me to do this successfully?

For all but PS3, definitely yes.
I don't own a PS3. It "Should" work. But I've read many people complain that PS3 (PS4 too?) often fails to do DHCP properly through a bridge. PS3 uniquely does something different than other devices.

Or maybe you can config your PS3 (PS4) to use static LAN IP addresses (reserved) and it won' to use DHCP.

Maybe you'll not encounter this.
Doesn't seem to happen on PCs and wireless cameras, etc.

The bridge can be set to disable 11n mode if you wish. Then have 11g clients use only the bridge.

As I understand, most all 11n routers will run 11n to 11n-capable clients even if 11g systems are present.
Your neighor's SSID might run 11g (unlikely) on the same channel as you and it would have the same affect.

I used an elaborate wireless home network until recently. I had a wireless bridge on 5GHz and used the 2.4GHz radio on it as a 2nd SSID to split the load on 2.4GHz. To the good, the main router always seemed to handle Wireless N and AC devices together well .. when I finally got an AC device, that is.

The question involved using bridges, potentially using the current 2.4GHz Linksys as a bridge. My concern was if it attached to the main router using wireless G would it take all 2.4GHz clients down to wireless G? I'm not saying it would, I'm just expressing a concern about mixing current and obsolete technologies. The Wireless G router would be a wireless client of the main router, just like any other wireless client attached to the router. Rather than offer PC capabilities, it offers switching capabilities.

My overall response to the original question is ... If you plan on buying a new router to use as a bridge, then don't be afraid to convert the Linksys. If you break it then who cares. You were planning to replace it anyway. If it works, it might meet your immediate need. You can test to see if being a wireless G bridge messes anything up for wireless N clients. The original poster appeared to want the solution to be costless, if possible. Conversion meets that objective.

Personally, if going with a new bridge, I would go for 5GHz, rather than 2.4GHz. 5GHz is going to be less cluttered with other users and offer better throughput for all clients attached to it. Plus it offers a 2nd 2.4GHz radio for further congestion management .. at least on some routers (Netgear has a client bridge mode on AC routers that turns off the 2.4GHz radio.) Putting everything on 2.4GHz has the potential to clutter the home wireless so that media doesn't work well ... assuming it's a family situation and not just one or two people using it. Double the potential mess if neighbors are on the same channel as you. The objective is to put some devices on radio 1, some on radio 2, and the rest on radio 3. Unless you're bombing the network on 5GHz like most people use 2.4GHz, it should balance out the flow.

Last edited:
For all but PS3, definitely yes.
I don't own a PS3. It "Should" work. But I've read many people complain that PS3 (PS4 too?) often fails to do DHCP properly through a bridge. PS3 uniquely does something different than other devices.

Or maybe you can config your PS3 (PS4) to use static LAN IP addresses (reserved) and it won' to use DHCP.

Maybe you'll not encounter this.
Doesn't seem to happen on PCs and wireless cameras, etc.
Yup, this was exactly the error I got on PS3; a DCHP error. Not even setting a static IP to the PS3 worked.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!