What's new

wireless client cannot see/pin each other

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
Greetings,

I have finally configured a stable AiMesh at home, or so I thought, until all the sudden my wireless printer (via armbian) stopped working when printing from another wireless computer. I seek your help.

My setup:

• AC68U (both router and node, with firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.81351)
    • wired backhaul between router and nodes
  • An orange pi zero running Armbian serving as a wireless print server
  • A windows 10 PC that can be connected both wirelessly, or wired (via USB ethernet) directly to the router.
Everything was working until about 2 weeks ago, and as far as I know, nothing has changed. However, here is the symptom:
  • printing works fine when the win-10 PC is connected via USB/wired ethernet
  • when the win-10 PC is connected wirelessly, printing does not work
    • cannot ping the the IP address of the armbian print server from the win-10 PC
    • HOWEVER, at the same time, I can ping the armbian printer from another (ubuntu) computer that is connected via wired ethernet.
Both win-10 PC and the orange-pi were connected to the same node wirelessly.

Thus it would appear that wireless devices in my AiMesh, when connected wirelessly, do not see/ping each other. I am at lost as how to resolve this. I would appreciate any suggestions.

regards,

Have you tried disproving your WiFi-to-Wifi theory by testing ping between other clients on the suspect WLAN... to remove the Pi print server and network printing from the equation?

OE

no I haven't, I will give it a more thorough test night.

I can, however, print from a *different* win-10 laptop that is connected wirelessly through a DIFFERENT AiMesh node. Will update this thread later tonight.

regards,

no I haven't, I will give it a more thorough test night.

I can, however, print from a *different* win-10 laptop that is connected wirelessly through a DIFFERENT AiMesh node. Will update this thread later tonight.

regards,

How are you managing IP assignments?

For example:
o my router DHCP server pool is 192.168.1.10-254
o I assign client side static IPs 192.168.1.1-9 with the router using 192.168.1.1 and a wired network printer using 192.168.1.2 (the printer/driver seems to prefer a static IP)
o I configure the router to manually assign a few IPs per MAC address from within the router DHCP server pool, .10-254

OE

I have similar setup:
  • DHCP range: 192.168.1.100-199 for wireless clients (phone/tablets/laptops)
  • AiMesh router/nodes and other access-points: static IPs: 192.168.1.245-254
    • AiMesh router is at 192.168.1.254
    • 2 nodes at 192.168.1.252/253
    • several access point/wireless bridges at 192.168.1.245-251, some have USB ports and hence also serve as print server
  • servers and media players (wireless or wired): static IPs: 192.168.1.210-240
  • home security/automation devices: static IPs: 192.168.1.20-80
The print server in question, an Orange Pi Zero, is connected via one of the AiMesh node wirelessly and with a static IP.

All static IPs are assigned based on MAC address in the AiMesh router via static DHCP table.

regards,

All static IPs are assigned based on MAC address in the AiMesh router via static DHCP table.

To be clear... I read this to mean that you have the router configured to manually assign IPs per MAC address outside of your DHCP server IP pool 192.168.1.100-199... yes?

Merlin advice is to keep these assignments within the DHCP server pool. I'm not sure if it matters here, but I respect his advice.

I hold to these definitions:
o the router DHCP server IP pool includes all router-assigned IPs, both automatic IPs and manually-assigned IPs;
o the router DHCP server IP pool does not include client side user-assigned static IPs.

OE

Last edited:
to answer your question: yes.

understood. Will implement the change tonight and report back.

all my clients (except Aimesh router/AP/bridges) are DHCP-enabled; all static IPs are assigned based on MAC addresses stored on the AiMesh router but some of them are assigned outside of the DHCP server IP pool.

thanks to those who helped. While I haven't fully debug the issue, I realized that it may be caused by a buggy driver for the wireless device under armbian/orange-pi-zero. As I have several spare routers with USB port (Asus 520GU nonetheless), I set one up as a wireless bridge/print server using tomato. Path of least resistance. Don't plan to look back.

I did learn something through this exercise: static IP vs DHCP pool. Thanks,

regards,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!