What's new

Wireless Powersave

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SamuelTanJS

New Around Here
Hi moderator: can you shift this thread to Asus Wireless instead of under AsusWRT Merlin?

Hi all, I would like to ask a question: What determines that the Powersave flag is on or off in the Wireless Log?
AC66u%252520-%252520Powersave%252520ON%252520low%252520speed.jpg

AC66U%252520-%252520Powersave%252520off.jpg

On Asus RT-AC87U, the powersave flag is never indicated. The same device (Samsung Galaxy Note 4) also runs its battery down much faster than on Asus RT-AC66U 5GHz. Also the "Connected time" never goes beyond 10 minutes.
AC87U%252520-%252520powersave%252520OFF%252520all%252520the%252520time.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, was about to open a thread with same question...
I'm having the same issue with my AC87, none of my devices (smarttv, iphone6+, ipad2 and Nexus5) connected to 5GHz seems to enter Powersave mode neither!

eddiez, can't see anywhere the WMM option for the 5GHz, only for 2.4GHz under Wireless/Professional...

EDIT: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...rt-ac87u-best-settings-as-access-point.22539/
This guy seems to have the option available for 5GHz! Anyone else can confirm if the option is there for some?

Last edited:
I have iphone 6 64GB, 6 plus 128GB, Ipad air 2 64GB, all seem perfect to me on 5GHz, I do not see any more battery drain than when I am at work (dlink and apple wifi there). I had a few samsung phones that had issues with draining batteries and it was apps or samsung drivers acting up, that's why I will never own another samsung phone ever, there are other androids.
Please no harm directed at anyone, but these are my experiences.

I do love samsung TV's, refrigerators, ... just hate their phones and all the crap they force on them and you can not get rid of.

Also why does your first picture show the power save flag and the one below does not from the same router?

I have iphone 6 64GB, 6 plus 128GB, Ipad air 2 64GB, all seem perfect to me on 5GHz, I do not see any more battery drain than when I am at work (dlink and apple wifi there). I had a few samsung phones that had issues with draining batteries and it was apps or samsung drivers acting up, that's why I will never own another samsung phone ever, there are other androids.
Please no harm directed at anyone, but these are my experiences.

I do love samsung TV's, refrigerators, ... just hate their phones and all the crap they force on them and you can not get rid of.

No Samsung devices here though... I'm experiencing a high battery drainage with a Nexus5, although I haven't tested properly yet with the Apple devices in house.

Also why does your first picture show the power save flag and the one below does not from the same router?
Device in use on the second pic...?

I am seeing my iphone 6+ in the wireless log never go to a slow state like some firmware before, when just sitting in standby, the ipad is fluctuating a little at least but not much.

EDIT:
I see the rate drop now on both ipad and iphone, in the log.

Last edited:
The most I can find out so far about 802.11 power management is found here: http://mrncciew.com/2014/10/14/cwap-802-11-power-management/

Every 802.11 power management method begin when the STA associates to the BSS. When AP send “Association Response” frame to the STA, an Association Identifier (AID) value present in the AID fixed parameter field (16 bit) as shown below. AID is presence in Association Response or Reassoication Response frames.

STA is allowed to go to “doze” state after the AP has been notified that station is about to enter power save mode. STA will use null data frame with Power Management bit set to 1 as shown below.

Stations will wake up from doze state for one of the 3 reason
1. if station has a frame to send
2. based on STA internal timing mechanism.
(there is no 3rd reason in the website??)

and http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000001739/ch03.html#section-mac-agg

VHT TxOp Power-Save (1 bit)

An AP can set this bit to 1 to enable power save operations during a VHT transmission burst, or 0 to disable them. Stations associating with a network will set this bit to 1 to indicate the capability is enabled or 0 if it is disabled.

I charged the ipad to full, the wife watched dish network on it (streaming video) and this morning (it was left off the charger during my wife's usage and all night) it was at 91% so I have to say IOS is not affected by this (if it is a problem at all), if it was it should have been lower.

I charged the ipad to full, the wife watched dish network on it (streaming video) and this morning (it was left off the charger during my wife's usage and all night) it was at 91% so I have to say IOS is not affected by this (if it is a problem at all), if it was it should have been lower.
That doesn't say much I'm afraid, unless you had seen it how much percentage had actually lost on standby during that period of time!
With my Nexus 5 (2300mAh battery)on the 5GHz it should discharge around 15% or more during a 8h period, while on 2.4GHz I see a 4 or 5% discharge during the same period! Keep in mind that an ipad has a much bigger battery (7340mAh), so it should be much less noticeable...

That doesn't say much I'm afraid, unless you had seen it how much percentage had actually lost on standby during that period of time!
With my Nexus 5 (2300mAh battery)on the 5GHz it should discharge around 15% or more during a 8h period, while on 2.4GHz I see a 4 or 5% discharge during the same period! Keep in mind that an ipad has a much bigger battery (7340mAh), so it should be much less noticeable...
I left it on 91% for the day, I will post back when I get home what it is at.

I got home and it was on 90% ~11 hours later
BUT I shut the router down and forgot to power it back up
So the test will be when I can let it sit idol for another day.
BUT this is a great reference point now.

EDIT
Asus has confirmed this issue with the 87 and is working on getting it fixed.

Last edited: