What's new

Wireless router for around $150 ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

naseem142

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I am not an expert on routers or networking, i just know a thing or two like the basics.
So i'm asking for your help!

Anyway, I need to replace my asus rc87u that has given me endless troubles and i can no longer take it.

I'd love a wireless router that has the great range of the RC87U, but of course reliable and stable that won't fail me after few months.
There are 4 PC's that will be wired and at-least 10 devices that will use wireless.
I'm also willing to spend $150 give or take , if there a router that costs like $20 more and it's worth getting then i won't be hesitant to add a little more budget.

I'd appreciate if anybody can help me out!

AC68U

Between AC68U and the R7000 , which one would you recommend? i'v come down to this choice.

ASUS has the better firmware. NETGEAR the better hardware. If you're not prepared to run a 3rd party firmware on the R7000, I wouldn't recommend it due to its stock firmware sucking a lot, especially recent versions

ASUS has the better firmware. NETGEAR the better hardware. If you're not prepared to run a 3rd party firmware on the R7000, I wouldn't recommend it due to its stock firmware sucking a lot, especially recent versions

I have no problems running a custom firmware as long as it's going to yield better experience overall and hassle free.

How much better hardware exactly? in quality of components or just a little difference in performance? Stability is all i need , i'd go for the R7000 if inferior hardware on asus's side means there is a possibility that i'll be getting the same connectivity issues like on the 87U.

I have no problems running a custom firmware as long as it's going to yield in better experience overall.

How much better hardware exactly? in quality of components or just a little difference in performance? Stability is all i need , i'd go for the R7000 if inferior hardware on asus's side means there is a possibility that i'll be getting the same connectivity issues like on the 87U.

Slightly better, I'd say. NG routers also consume less power than ASUS ones. I find build quality to be slightly better too than ASUS ones. The 87U was ASUS' bad egg. Lots of people with many issues and ASUS never really got it worked out. The 68U is very decent and stable router, not many issues with it

Slightly better, I'd say. NG routers also consume less power than ASUS ones. I find build quality to be slightly better too than ASUS ones. The 87U was ASUS' bad egg. Lots of people with many issues and ASUS never really got it worked out. The 68U is very decent and stable router, not many issues with it

Alright, thank you so much for the detailed information. I guess i can't go wrong in either choice, But i think i'll choose the R7000 this time.

EDIT: Does using less power mean the router would get less hot? I live in a quite hot area and where the router will be sitting there is usually no A/C turned on.

Last edited:
Alright, thank you so much for the detailed information. I guess i can't go wrong in either choice, But i think i'll choose the R7000 this time.

EDIT: Does using less power mean the router would get less hot? I live in a quite hot area and where the router will be sitting there is usually no A/C turned on.

Yes, NG routers get slightly less hot. I've never seen mine go over 77°C when outside is 30-35 °C and inside slightly higher.. ASUS routers are known to go over 80 °C, especially on hotter days and some would argue they need active cooling

if you get the R7000, try it and if you don't like it, swap it for an AC68U :)

Yes, NG routers get slightly less hot. I've never seen mine go over 77°C when outside is 30-35 °C and inside slightly higher.. ASUS routers are known to go over 80 °C, especially on hotter days and some would argue they need active cooling

Great, thanks again. Appreciate your help!

if you get the R7000, try it and if you don't like it, swap it for an AC68U :)

I guess that's an option if something goes wrong heh.

If you have access to a Best Buy, the RT-AC1900P is the latest and best version of the AC1900 class routers (for the price of less than the original RT-AC68U). Best of all? It runs RMerlin firmware (just use the trx file for the RT-AC68U).

If you have access to a Best Buy, the RT-AC1900P is the latest and best version of the AC1900 class routers (for the price of less than the original RT-AC68U). Best of all? It runs RMerlin firmware (just use the trx file for the RT-AC68U).

Unfortunately i don't. But isn't it the same as the 68U? couldn't find any "RT-AC1900P" for sale on amazon.

Unfortunately i don't. But isn't it the same as the 68U? couldn't find any "RT-AC1900P" for sale on amazon.

No, not the same. Updated hardware, including processor (1.4GHz versus 800MHz), power amplifiers for the WiFi and three year newer design (RF) advantage make this the AC1900 class router I would want to pay for today.

This is a Best Buy exclusive for now. :(

Do you have any friends that are coming to visit or can ship it to you? :)

No, not the same. Updated hardware, including processor (1.4GHz versus 800MHz), power amplifiers for the WiFi and three year newer design (RF) advantage make this the AC1900 class router I would want to pay for today.

This is a Best Buy exclusive for now. :(

Do you have any friends that are coming to visit or can ship it to you? :)

Damn that's tough.. Maybe i can ask amazon customer support if they have any idea when they could start stocking it.

and as for friends, no i don't :(

OJumH88.png

I don't think i can wait that long with my current router's state, i'll just settle for R7k.