What's new

Wireless router for better range & performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JokerPower

Regular Contributor
Hello. I'm looking forward to buy a router for my home network (two floors). Right now, I'm using WiFi from my ONT Huawei 8245. The problem is that I can't reach more than 30-40 Mbps downstream, even through my devices are N. I'm aiming for 100 Mbps. On cable I get my 500 Mbps with no trouble.

I was looking forward on ASUS RT-AC87U. But it's quiet expensive, and may be overkill for my needs. Any ideas? Thanks.

RT-N18U would be enough and its real cheap if you dont need 5GHZ band , if so RT-AC56U, RT-AC68P, RT-AC87U or RT-AC3200. :)

Last edited:
P version is better, it has a new CPU (BCM4709 1GHZ) and the speed on USB 3.0 is alot faster due the new board design.

If you're looking for sustained 100Mbps on your devices, the RT-AC87U may not be overkill at all in your two story home. I don't think the 2.4GHz band can provide it assuming your wifi environment is heavily used also by your neighbors, so I would be concentrating on a quality 5GHz AC1900 or higher router starting with the RT-AC68U.

If you have N devices only i dont see any reason for buying an AC device, unless you want future proof tech, but it all depends on the house you have and your wallet, don't expect having an huge range on the 5GHZ band if you have a big house.

You can have a N16 (5 year model) with 3 antenas covering up more than a AC87U with 4 antennas if you know what i mean :)

But offcourse by default recent routers have better PA and better coverage.

So it's more like marketing stuff about these new 6 antennas "monsters"?

Yep...

In my experience, the Linksys WRT1900ac has excellent range and coverage in both bands - 4 antennas..

Most important thing for Wifi and getting good coverage is the location of the AP - all will coverage a 1600 sq ft house in a good location...

Bad location - no amount of antennas, radios, whatever will help there ;)

I wouldnt consider the R7000 the #1 router on the chart (tied with RT-AC68U), unless its not using official FW. Even i can understand it has a better CPU...

But even more surprising it's the RT-AC68U being on top of RT-AC68P...

Price could be a factor on that decision, but we cannot expect a better router being cheaper.

Last edited: