What's new

Wireless Setup for 3-Story House Currently Have R7000 Need Advice...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

y2jdmbfan

Regular Contributor
Guys,

In my old 1700 sq ft townhouse (3-Story) I had a Netgear R7000 hooked to the cable modem in the master bedroom closet. It worked best up there and was able to get a strong signal on the bottom floor.

I just moved into a 4,000 sq ft 3-Story home and am trying to optimize the network. There is Cat-5 run to 9 of the rooms in the house including the basement, office, kitchen, living room, and bedrooms. I installed a gigabit switch into the basement when I moved in and terminated the connections down there. I temporarily had the cable modem and R7000 in my office. This is in a front corner of the home on the main (2nd) floor and the wires were a mess. I decided to move the cable modem and router to the basement and use the R7000 as a router only and turn off the wireless radios / access point as the unit is mounted to a wood plank on the walls and there are metal beams right above where it is mounted.

I picked up an Asus RT-AC87R to use in Access Point only mode yesterday and I am not that happy with the coverage / performance. I temporarily have it in the office and I can't get full 125Mbps down on the upstairs 3rd floor. Should I return the RT-AC87R and get another R7000 for the access point as well?

I know the R7000 was great WAN-LAN and LAN-WAN performance which is why I thought it would be a good choice for the router portion.

Any input is appreciated, as of now, I think I may return the AC87R and get something else because it seems to be buggy and I have had to restart it a bunch of times to regain performance. It was around $250 and I'm not sure it is worth it over another R7000 or AC68U.

Does your ISP device support gateway mode?, or is it truly a modem? If it does, I would use it as the router / dhcp server with radios off, would purchase another 7000 and use both 7000's as AP's. If your ISP device is truly a modem you could purchase a lower end home router that has gig ports and use it for router / dhcp server..

EDIT: In order to get gig between your AP's and your routers gig ports, your home cabling will have to be at least CAT5E

Wiring is Cat-5E so we are good there. I'd prefer to not let the Arris/Comcast modem that I purchased do the routing. It's a pretty basic interface, and I am sure the routing isn't as good as the R7000. The Comcast modem is set to Bridge mode currently to act as a modem and voice connection only.

Wiring is Cat-5E so we are good there. I'd prefer to not let the Arris/Comcast modem that I purchased do the routing. It's a pretty basic interface, and I am sure the routing isn't as good as the R7000. The Comcast modem is set to Bridge mode currently to act as a modem and voice connection only.

if you are just looking for a device to do dhcp, then I wouldn't see why not. Unless you have other routing requirements.

EDIT: I see amazon dot com has some used / refurbed NG R6300's (gig ports) between 64 and $75. Could be used as a dhcp server / router between your modem and your home network. Could be configed with radios off, as another option..

Last edited:
An update....I picked up an LRT214 after work and installed it when I got home. I was impressed with the device when unpacking it, but once I hooked it up to the network, that kinda changed. I couldn't get my full 125/25 speeds going through the LRT214. The speeds would fluctuate greatly. I updated the firmware and did a factory reset with no change. I ended up putting the RT-AC87R I had previously picked up for use as the access point in place as the router and I was back to my full speeds. I do like the firmware on the RT-AC87R, seems much more full featured than the R7000 firmware, at least it gives more detailed information and settings. However, the RT-AC87R is a bit expensive to use as a router only. The R7000 works great in the kitchen atop of the corner cabinets. I can get full 125/25 on the 5GHz band pretty much in all corners of the house and the basement, much better than the wireless performance of the RT-AC87R.

An update....I picked up an LRT214 after work and installed it when I got home. I was impressed with the device when unpacking it, but once I hooked it up to the network, that kinda changed. I couldn't get my full 125/25 speeds going through the LRT214. The speeds would fluctuate greatly. I updated the firmware and did a factory reset with no change. I ended up putting the RT-AC87R I had previously picked up for use as the access point in place as the router and I was back to my full speeds. I do like the firmware on the RT-AC87R, seems much more full featured than the R7000 firmware, at least it gives more detailed information and settings. However, the RT-AC87R is a bit expensive to use as a router only. The R7000 works great in the kitchen atop of the corner cabinets. I can get full 125/25 on the 5GHz band pretty much in all corners of the house and the basement, much better than the wireless performance of the RT-AC87R.

Return it while you still can? And buy yourself another R7000. I don't know prices so you may need to pay on top

I can return the RT-AC87R and the Linksys LRT214 with no issue, have 14 days minimum, no re-stocking fee.