What's new

Wiring advice needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TabMorty

New Around Here
Hello,

I have been watching this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I searched first for some ideas, but could not see any that suited my situation, so I create a new thread in hope that someone with good network knowledge can give me some ideas on how I can connect my network, and which components I might need to make this work

My connection to the world is via fiber, where I tap connections from Gigabit cable, switching it with 2 separate networks, using Asus RT-AC87 routers to connect WAN via PPPoE and DHCP from provider - where I need separate ISP sessions for each router's WAN..

on the inside, both routers have both LAN and WiFi connected clients

What I need to achieve somehow - is that all clients on both routers, need to be able to access all resources on both networks, but clients connected to RT1 should have all Internet traffic routed via RT1's WAN, and RT2 connected clients, should have internet traffic routed via RT2's WAN

I also want to introduce a 3rd router into the mix, which will be configured as OpenVPN client - and all clients connected to this 3rd router, should have Internet traffic routed via VPN - but - also be able to access all local resources

Ideally, my existing RT2 could be configured with 2 or 3 OpenVPN client profiles - and somehow allow me to on-demand connect to any of the VPN's without disturbing other traffic on the router. With Merlin I know I can use selective routing depending on which device I connect from, but this is a little bit too static, since I only need the VPN from time to access special work related resources

But - I am open to get separate routers to handle the VPN's, one for each VPN if neccessary. My challenge is just How to handle the routing across my networks so everyone can access all internal resources, whilst having only Internet traffic routed via the routers WAN - depending on which router the client is connected to.

Also - a fail-over config would also be great. So in case one PPPOE connection goes down, the other will be used... but this is not required

Please excuse my drawing skills, but I have attached a image to show how things are set up today

I would appreciate any config solutions that would achieve the goals specified above

Note: RT1 is running latest Asus stock firmware, RT2 is running latest Merlin
and the Netgear switches should be able to handle VLAN

Attachments

• Ntwrk1.jpg
    Ntwrk1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 599
If you want to control all your network traffic then you need to bring all your network traffic into your network. Don't go outside for local LAN traffic.

make "RT1" and RT2" into access points/switches (probably just need to disable DHCP, maybe move uplink cable). replace "SW2" with a router and set routes as needed. enable DHCP.