What's new

WLAN (only) loses connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gbock

New Around Here
hi there,

I am using a RT-N66U with Merlin 380.57.
In the past weeks I recognize on devices that are wireless connected often an outage of the internet. at the same time the wired connection is available. After 20 sec. the connection is available again. So I think it must be an error of the RT-N66U with Merlin 380.57.

Any idea what to do?

Will an update to 380.59 help?
Thanks

Has really no one any idea what can be the problem?
Or have I disregarded any forum rule?

Thanks!

No, no forum rules were disregarded. :)

Only patience required.

A firmware upgrade of that old firmware is suggested along with a minimal and manual configuration after resetting to factory defaults. Make sure to note the threads about the latest Asus and RMerlin firmware (380.60 beta 2) that may limit the future firmware you can install. Having said that, the RMerlin 380.60 beta 2 is what I would recommend testing now.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

You may also want to use new ssid's (can use the same password). Also ensure that only alphanumeric characters are used in both.

Which band is disconnecting? Do you have specific channels for both bands defined, or are you using auto? Are you using any features other than defaults? Do you have hardware acceleration enabled and is it actually working?

Are the devices that lose internet connection handhelds or laptops? Is there a common denominator they share? How far from the router are they (any obstacles between them and the router)? Can you use a different band on any of them and have uninterrupted internet access?

Is there any obvious new devices introduced into the immediate environment that can be interfering with the WiFi? Things like baby monitors, microwave ovens, new transformers/equipment in the back alley, etc.

If after successfully delving into the above the issue continues, it may indicate a hardware issue. How old is your RT-N66U?

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer!!!

I was a bit scary to do a firmware update, because last time, I did it, I went into big trouble ...
When I understood you correctly I need to do first a factory reset before I install the new firmware.
That might be the problem I had last time...

I will try to use new SSID´s if the update will not have any influence.
And I was also not aware that only alphanumeric characters should be used, , thanks for these hints!

I have the impresseion that the 5ghz is more stable, but it is only used by the TV.

Both handhelds and laptops loose the connection, The laptop is only 30 inch away from the router...
I will try to use for the laptop the 5ghz as well, again thanks :)

No, no new devices around at least in our household...maybe the neighbour, needs to be checked...

The router is approx. 5 years old.

Later on or tomorrow I will try do the firmware upgrade and report, if there is any improvement.
Thanks again!!!

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer!!!

I was a bit scary to do a firmware update, because last time, I did it, I went into big trouble ...
When I understood you correctly I need to do first a factory reset before I install the new firmware.
That might be the problem I had last time...

I will try to use new SSID´s if the update will not have any influence.
And I was also not aware that only alphanumeric characters should be used, , thanks for these hints!

I have the impresseion that the 5ghz is more stable, but it is only used by the TV.

Both handhelds and laptops loose the connection, The laptop is only 30 inch away from the router...
I will try to use for the laptop the 5ghz as well, again thanks :)

No, no new devices around at least in our household...maybe the neighbour, needs to be checked...

The router is approx. 5 years old.

Later on or tomorrow I will try do the firmware upgrade and report, if there is any improvement.
Thanks again!!!

gbock, you're welcome.

A correction.

To properly install new firmware, (safely) remove any USB attached devices and then reboot the router. After waiting a full 5 minutes or more for the router to stabilize again after the reboot, flash the new firmware (make sure you understand the ramifications of what new firmware will do to your ability to use older firmware again, now and in the future).

After flashing the new firmware and the router has been left idle for a few minutes (5 is good), I do a hard reboot at this time (physically pull the power plug from the router) and let it sit for 2 minutes. After I plug it in and wait another 5 minutes for it to settle down, I then use the gui to reset to factory defaults. (And once again reboot and hard reboot the router at least once each, before I start setting it up).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/no...l-and-manual-configuration.27115/#post-205573

ok, finally I was able to update the firmware and cahnged the SSID.
I hope that it will work now without interuptions.. Thanks again!

unfortunately no difference.
I have still outages...
Can I see them in a log-file or are there any special settings I can do?
Right now, I haven´t touched the settings (apart from Stealth Mode)

With regards to software and settings, you've done probably as much as one can do...

The N66U has been around for a while - if this is an older one, check the power adapter - intermittent wifi is a good sign that the power adapter is going bad - most will "soft fail", as the load on the adapter increases (which wifi will do), it'll not be able to deliver enough current, and the PA's latch off for a bit..

As long as the replacement is similar (same voltage, tip/ring config, and same or higher current), this would be the next step - and a lot cheaper than buying a new router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!