What's new

WLAN Repeater has high upload rate but slow download rate. Bad chip or wrong configuration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rkk2025

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I recently bought a pretty cheap 300Mbit 2,4Ghz Wireless-N repeater (https://www.conrad.de/de/ce-n300-wlan-repeater-300-mbits-24-ghz-986922.html). The device works but seems to have the upload rates swapped. It has a extremely high upload rate and a very slow download rate. While all my devices connected to my Wifi usually have a download rate of 72 and an upload rate of 33, the Wlan Repeater has a download rate of 31 and an upload rate of 139. The download rates of the Wlan Repeater though seem to be very inconsistent and fall to rates of 11 Mbit of download and 76 of upload in some cases, but in every case the download speed is way slower than the upload speed.

Anybody has an idea what could be going on here? Could it be a configuration issue or is the hardware of the device just defect or plain 'you get what you pay for' bad?

I've seen this often during router testing. It's usually caused by the device negotiating a different link rate for transmit and receive.

I've never been able to track down a specific cause. It's just something in the ranging algorithm the device uses.

Not much you can do about it besides switch to another product.

Anybody has an idea what could be going on here? Could it be a configuration issue or is the hardware of the device just defect or plain 'you get what you pay for' bad?

Could be that - one thing to consider is where you put the repeater - physically move it around a bit and see what the end client performance is.

Might be surprised a bit...