What's new

WOL/LAN/VPN/Router - Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spydeyrch

New Around Here
Hey there y'all!

*** I don't know if this should go under router, VPN, LAN/Wireless, or some other sub-forum. Admins, please feel free to move as is needed. Thank you! ***

I am new here and hope to get some assistance with something. I have been racking my brain on this issue I am having. I have scoured the internet, forums, books, library, etc., for months now and can't seem to figure this out. By all accounts, it should be working but I can't seem to figure out why it isn't.

I have my machine, which is wired directly to the router, an Asus RT-AC68P. The machine is setup via the BIOS (UEFI) and the NIC settings in Widnows to wake (WOL) from both sleep and shutdown. It works fine internally. (Externally is another issue but to tackle at a different time, unless it has to do with my current issue.) I have tested it from other machines on the same internal network: tablets, phones, wired devices, wireless devices, etc. Wakes from both sleep and shutdown every time when the packet is sent from within my LAN (home network).

I have the router's built-in VPN server setup to use the same subnet range as my router uses for my home network IP address range. The router uses the lower end of the subnet and the VPN uses a different section.

For example, the router would use for any connected devices the following IP address range:

xxx.xxx.5.2 through xxx.xxx.5.11

with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

The VPN server is setup (I had to manually change it) to use the following range for any devices connected to it:

xxx.xxx.5.15 through xxx.xxx.5.19

with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

If I didn't change the VPN DHCP settings, then although the external device was connected to the VPN, niether it nor my internal devices could connect to each other. By doing the above, I am able to ping all devices from external to internal and vice versa.

If an external device, say in a different city, is connected to my VPN server with the above settings in place, the external device, assuming it is the only device currently connected, is assigned from the VPN server the IP address of xxx.xxx.5.15. From within my LAN (home network), I can ping xxx.xxx.5.15 and get a response and xxx.xxx.5.15 can ping my personal machine, which is on my internal network, and get a response. I can remote into the external machine and the external machine can remote into an internal machine, let it be via RDP, VNC, etc. It works just fine. No issues.

The issue I am having, which I hope has a simple fix, is: Once I have logged in to the VPN from an external device and the external device is assigned an IP address on the same subnet as my internal machines via the VPN server, I can't seem to wake my internal machine (which would normally wake from an internally sent request). Nothing happens. I send the "magic packet" as I normally would but nothing happens.

Technically, because I am logged into the VPN, the external machine should be "seen" by the VPN and router as a machine located on the internal side of things. So just as when I am at home and can wake my machine from the internal side of things, when I am logged into the VPN, and the external device has been assigned an internal IP address, it too should wake the machine I am targeting. But nothing happens.

I can't figure out why. I have checked, double checked, and triple checked the settings, etc. Tried each little thing, one by one, and can't seem to get it to work for what ever the reason.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts? Or am I completely stuck.

Thanks for your help guys and have a great holiday season!!

-Spydey

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!