What's new

WOL over VPN for two devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Andreas Werner

New Around Here
Hi,

I want to use WOL (Wake-on-Lan) over VPN, but I didn't manage it yet. It's no option either to use WOW (Wake-over-WAN) using a port forwarding, or using a SSH script.

I have tried:
* Port forwarding from WAN: Failed due to the fact, that a specific port can only forwarded to one maschine, not more. I have to do an implementation accessing two devices.
* Using an IP range for VPN within the same network as used for LAN, but outside the DHCP range. Failed due to the fact that there is an error displayed all times that networks "overlaps".
* I found no option to define broadcast routes between two subnets (Lan & VPN).
* I found no option to set up DHCP options for VPN, like range or fixed IPs.

Still implemented:
* VPN is working fine, secured by passphrase and certificate, I can access the running devices within LAN from VPN

Hardware used:
ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin latest build.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi,
in order to have WOW (wake-on-wan) work, you must issue an arp command (at SSH/telnet level) to make the ip address static in the arp table.
synatx is : arp -s ipaddr macaddr
Rgds,
GS
P.S. of course, you choose which external port to use and make a port fwd to the internal ip on port 9 (usually used for wol)

Last edited: