What's new

WOL with OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Falconpunch

New Around Here
I'm using an android app to send WOL packets to server that works on internal LAN, but not through OpenVPN. Can connect to server via VPN and ping it.

Is there something I need to route or forward to make the port 9 packets find the server or is there something that I am not understanding with the broadcast?

I'm using an android app to send WOL packets to server that works on internal LAN, but not through OpenVPN. Can connect to server via VPN and ping it.

Is there something I need to route or forward to make the port 9 packets find the server or is there something that I am not understanding with the broadcast?

The overarching issue is that this type traffic, by design, doesn't cross from one subnet to another. I'd suggest that you change your OpenVPN from TUN to TAP so that you'd be on the same subnet, except IIRC, Android doesn't support TAP. If your router supports sending WOL directly, log into your router's GUI (which you can access by IP over OpenVPN TUN), and send the WOL packet from there.

TeamViewer also supports a WOL function, so if you have a Windows PC on your LAN that's always on, you could use the TeamViewer Android client to send WOL.