What's new

Would be great if the wireless reviews included security

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vandergraff

Regular Contributor
I really appreciate the wireless reviews (and router ranker / charts) here.

I am in the process of trying to decide whether to upgrade to to one of the mesh systems - currently trying to decide between Orbi (I know its not really mesh) or Ampilifi HD.

The reviews here give great information on throughput etc but nothing on how secure these system are (WPS can it be disabled is it pin etc, UPnP again what are the settings, firewall capabilities, etc).

I am currently running Asuswrt-Merlin on an AC68U as main router and N66U as an extender and know exactly what I can set - but for Orbi and Amplifi HD it is much less clear....

Edit - as far as I can tell from the Orbi user manual WPS is supported and cannot be disabled. The Amplifi User manual has no mention WPS. The Orbi user manual says UPnP enabled by default but can be disabled.

Last edited:
I will try to remember to mention WPS and UPnP disables in reviews.

as far as I can tell from the Orbi user manual WPS is supported and cannot be disabled

in the orbi wps is used as its connection method between router and sat's so its integral to how its works but is push button / on startup so isnt really a security risk

i would think almost all wps these days is push button rather than pin based and on all the time

on the orbi the UPnP is indeed enabled and is able to be disabled but thats also pretty much a given these days as far as UPnP goes

it would prob be easier if tim mentions if these arnt a standard inclusion or have been omitted eg in the pro's and cons section

So a quick update after using the Orbi for a few weeks.

WiFi coverage is stunning - throughout the house clients that can get full speed see 180 /12 from dslreports speed test (comcast seems to over provision 150/10 to these speeds) and the outhouse / garage gets reliable connection and better speeds. Never have to reset connection - never get IT support call from home when I am at work! (the asus rouer / extender did seem to need occasional resets with clients reports no connection)

Downsides

- an android client can occasionally drop connection - it reconnects quickly but can be annoying (really not sure if it is an Orbi issue as it did lose connection with the asus WiFi from time to time)
- router features and interface are very, very limited
- their app is even worse

At this point I think I will stick Orbi for WiFi (as an AP) and use the AC-68 running asuswrt-merlin as the router

So a quick update after using the Orbi for a few weeks.

WiFi coverage is stunning - throughout the house clients that can get full speed see 180 /12 from dslreports speed test (comcast seems to over provision 150/10 to these speeds) and the outhouse / garage gets reliable connection and better speeds. Never have to reset connection - never get IT support call from home when I am at work! (the asus rouer / extender did seem to need occasional resets with clients reports no connection)

Downsides

- an android client can occasionally drop connection - it reconnects quickly but can be annoying (really not sure if it is an Orbi issue as it did lose connection with the asus WiFi from time to time)
- router features and interface are very, very limited
- their app is even worse

At this point I think I will stick Orbi for WiFi (as an AP) and use the AC-68 running asuswrt-merlin as the router

The 180/12 speed test result is what your modem is getting from your ISP reported by the router. Not what your device is getting at the edge of your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!