What's new

Would I benefit from DOCSIS 3.1?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bk_think

Occasional Visitor
Not sure of the best place to pose this question....

I have Xfinity 200/20 through a SB6140 modem to a Ubiquiti USG4. Works fine, no complaints.

Might bump my speed, but probably not to Gb. Ends up being cheaper, go figure.

Evidently DOCSIS 3.1 is fully deployed in my area. Even if I don't need it for the bandwidth, would a contemporary modem like the Motorola MB8600 and the associated AQM mandated by the DOCSIS 3.1 standard help me out with bufferbloat, etc.? At <400 Mbps tier would it even be provisioned as 3.1?

BK

bufferbloat can be reduced at the router, at the modem not really as all its doing is just converting between mediums. DOCSIS 3.1 will help over older standards as theres more bandwidth in total for everyone as the architecture involves shared bandwidths.

bufferbloat can be reduced at the router, at the modem not really as all its doing is just converting between mediums. DOCSIS 3.1 will help over older standards as theres more bandwidth in total for everyone as the architecture involves shared bandwidths.

unless the modem has large buffers inside as my previous one which always gave me an F score on bufferbloat. Everything was the same and I changed it for another one and now each time I get a solid A (sometimes even A+)

unless the modem has large buffers inside as my previous one which always gave me an F score on bufferbloat. Everything was the same and I changed it for another one and now each time I get a solid A (sometimes even A+)

What modem are you on now?

BK

Interesting. I've never run into this issue before as i compared 3 different modems on VDSL, one of which had 100Mb/s ethernet but was compatible with 300Mb/s VDSL2. If the modem is topping out in performance/bottleneck somewhere it would bufferbloat. This could be the CPU or internal bus for example or even a link that has been overfilled on one side.

However we will always see improvement over a new protocol compared to older ones.

What modem are you on now?

BK

it's another one made by Compal Broadband Networks (CBN - http://www.icbn.com.tw/networking/ ). My ISP doesn't allow using a modem of my choice. I had to change my old one for this one due to upgrade to higher speeds and my old one couldn't reach them (I have now 500/40). Everything was the same and I only changed the modem. Did a bufferbloat test and got a score of A. In the past I always thought that it was my router responsible for an F score but it turned out to be my old modem

MB8600 is now setup, connected @ 3.1 with 34/4 channels and working well. Will benchmark later (how best to do that?).

FYI, for Xfinity users, couldn't get the security image or audio alternative to work correctly with Chrome. Edge worked no problem. Activated online via texted code and didn't need to call anyone.

BK

Up for 2.5 days since install. Nothing fishy in the modem log. My gateway runs/logs periodic speed and latency tests. No complaints with the SB6140, but the MB8600 is more consistent over time and latency went from 8ms with occasional spikes to 7ms flat as Kansas. Browsing feels a bit snappier. DSLR bufferbloat is not improved, but I suppose that could be due to the IPS/DPI on the gateway. Wasn't cheap so not sure of the "value" in my case, but I do like this modem + 3.1!

BK

Up for 2.5 days since install. Nothing fishy in the modem log. My gateway runs/logs periodic speed and latency tests. No complaints with the SB6140, but the MB8600 is more consistent over time and latency went from 8ms with occasional spikes to 7ms flat as Kansas. Browsing feels a bit snappier. DSLR bufferbloat is not improved, but I suppose that could be due to the IPS/DPI on the gateway. Wasn't cheap so not sure of the "value" in my case, but I do like this modem + 3.1!

BK
Cool. I ordered a 3.1 modem to see if I get any improved results. I know I will get more channels at the very least.

Ok...just arrived and hooked up my SB8200 modem.. its a 3.1 docsis modem but my cable co is only 3.0.. Still I gained 8 more download channels.

I was hoping the 3.1 AQM would still work at docsis 3.0... but dont think it did...I still get an F rating on bufferbloat but some really good speeds; No a modem swap alone didnt help my bufferbloat.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45367053

I then limited my bandwidth with the R7800 QoS. this is all still .62 NG firmware:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/45367174

Not bad...got bufferbloat to a C wth this combo and overall A rating..

I think increasing my speed/service may help with bufferbloat also...

Next up..Voxel firmware I think on my router..

Cool - I really wanted the SB8200 for its stout construction and form factor, but went with the MB8600 instead. Just upgraded service from what I guess was Xfinity 150/10 (same plan for years) to 250/10. Speed tests show ~290/12 and all is good so far. $20/mo cheaper, go figure. Wanted to track the data for 1wk before making the change. Still need to dig into the bufferbloat thing vs. router settings.

BK

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!