What's new

Would I benefit from Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lee MacMillan

I just bought an RT-AC66U B1, primarily due to Asus support, specifically recent firmware updates (my TP-Link Archer C8 has 2 year old firmware with no update in sight.) Upon receipt, I did a factory reset (it was a refurbished unit), updated the firmware to the latest release (384.21045), and set it up for my modest home network (2 PCs (one wired), Roku, Tivo and 4 or 5 mobile devices.)

I like the GUI and it has more options than the Archer software. I have read about Merlin but I don't know if it will provide me with anything I need beyond the stock Asus firmware. And I see Merlin is currently 2 releases behind Asus so I would hold off until it caught up in any case.

So my question is, given my relatively simple home network, are there any tweaks or features that Merlin provides that the typical home network operator needs?

Nothing has changed. I dropped support for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U, and have zero intention of resuming it.
End of year 2017 development update
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/end-of-year-2017-development-update.42965/page-6#post-410973

Sorry bro, I would continue on official Asus releases

edit: what ColinTaylor said
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/
Official support:
RT-AC66U_B1 (use the RT-AC68U firmware)

Last edited:
Sorry bro, I would continue on official Asus releases
He has a RT-AC66U_B1 (a.k.a RT-AC68U), not the original RT-AC66U as demonstrated by the fact that he's running a 384 firmware release.

@Lee MacMillan If there's nothing you want to do that's lacking in the stock firmware, or a bug that Merlin's fixed, you might as well stay with Asus'.

Merlin's enhancements can be seen here.

I bought an ac66u B1 last week to replace an aging N16.

Just make sure you flash firmware labeled for the AC68U to the 66u b1.

To answer your question indirectly, the first thing i did with my 66u b1 was to put it in recovery mode and install john's LTS fork. Been working like a charm.

I have no idea what that means! o_O
Lol, sorry about that.

66u b1 = same router you have

recovery mode = hold "reset" button in while turning on the router until the power light starts blinking, then you can upload the merlin firmware there

john's LTS fork = basically a "long term stable" version of merlin for those who prefer stability over the latest features & changes - i use it because i prefer to "set it and forget it" instead of upgrading too often. go back 1 page and it's at the top of the screen "[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V32E4)"

Lol, sorry about that.

66u b1 = same router you have

recovery mode = hold "reset" button in while turning on the router until the power light starts blinking, then you can upload the merlin firmware there

john's LTS fork = basically a "long term stable" version of merlin for those who prefer stability over the latest features & changes - i use it because i prefer to "set it and forget it" instead of upgrading too often. go back 1 page and it's at the top of the screen "[Fork] Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS releases (V32E4)"
Thanks. It was the "LTS fork" thing I didn't understand. I do know my router model number!:)

Last edited:
Lee,

My setup is very similar to yours. Small network, with 7 devices.

The wireless log page is tons better in Merlin. There’s a real handy wireless site survey feature as well. There’s a system information page, which shows CPU/Radio temps among other things. I also like that Merlin is always addressing security issues.

I’ve been running 384,5 since it’s release and it’s solid. Personally, I prefer Merlin. All the enhancement and tweaks are worth it to me. When I went back to stock for a very short time, I immediately missed the wireless log and other enhancements.

I will say, Colin’s advice is solid as well.

Enjoy your router!

Lee,

The wireless log page is tons better in Merlin. There’s a real handy wireless site survey feature as well. There’s a system information page, which shows CPU/Radio temps among other things. I also like that Merlin is always addressing security issues.

I’ve been running 384,5 since it’s release and it’s solid. Personally, I prefer Merlin. All the enhancement and tweaks are worth it to me. When I went back to stock for a very short time, I immediately missed the wireless log and other enhancements.
Since I'm running the latest Asus firmware (21045) and the current Merlin release is based on a previous release (20648), can I just flash it as a normal firmware update or do I need to do something special since it's technically a "downgrade"?

Since I'm running the latest Asus firmware (21045) and the current Merlin release is based on a previous release (20648), can I just flash it as a normal firmware update or do I need to do something special since it's technically a "downgrade"?
You may be able to flash without an issue. If after the upgrade you notice any oddities, just reset to factory default and set up again. If it were me, I would probably just factory reset. I don’t have many setting to enter.

Edit: I use the initialize option to factory reset. See here:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac86u-administration-restore-vs-initialize.41944/#post-355999