What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ben McElvany

New Around Here
After reading all over about how WPS with a PIN is insecure I went into the firmware for my Costco r6900 (same as r7000) and disabled using WPS with a PIN.

However that still leaves the ability to use WPS with a Push Button.

So my two questions are: Is that still secure? (I've read both yes and no so trying to get a grasp on the situation. If you don't have access to the push button, how can it be insecure?)

If it is insecure still, then what else can you do to disable it in the router as I've already turned everything off I can in regards to WPS? Or is it not a vulnerability on the router end but the device end that connected via the WPS Push Button?

After reading all over about how WPS with a PIN is insecure I went into the firmware for my Costco r6900 (same as r7000) and disabled using WPS with a PIN.

However that still leaves the ability to use WPS with a Push Button.

So my two questions are: Is that still secure? (I've read both yes and no so trying to get a grasp on the situation. If you don't have access to the push button, how can it be insecure?)

If it is insecure still, then what else can you do to disable it in the router as I've already turned everything off I can in regards to WPS? Or is it not a vulnerability on the router end but the device end that connected via the WPS Push Button?

If you can't access the WPS, then I would say it is secure.. But.. If you remove the PIN number, can you get in with WPS button? WPS with the PIN is supposed to be three tries and then it disables itself, which is probably easily reset, by rebooting the router. All the Netgear firmware is the same, RE: WPS setup. Not much you can do n NG firmware..

WPS at this time can NOT be completely disabled in Netgear firmware. They have known this for some time and have not fixed the issue. Same for many other issues Netgear code has, they are plentiful. Netgear has great hardware but there firmware is destroying there products and it almost seems they don't even care. Most likely because people keep buying there routers anyways. :eek: