What's new

wrt1200ac No access point mode?????

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

VisionxOrb

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, trying to set this wrt1200ac up for my inlaws, they have att uverse with tv so there ATT box has to stay, Ive been trying to set this up as access point mode but can not find a way to do it. I read a reference on some site that changing the internet connection mode to "bridge mode" is access point and it does inndeed act similar but it kills everthing else including the usb file share /dlna which was the whole reason for picking this unit. We are connection a 5tb usb drive to it.

After non of that worked out I tried the old method of turning off dhcp, giving the unit a local address and plugging the cat 5 into the switch instead of wan port. Wireless works like it should and computers plugged in the network and can talk BUT the router is not reachable from the address set (fing on my phone doeskin see it either) and off course cant access the usb drive. Im at a loss here, don't want to go to openwrt as it doesn't look like its ready for set it and forget it which these guys need.

Didn't want to go with a different router as nothing else comes close in the NAS dept.

Another way is just use the LAN ports and disable DHCP server and it will work as an AP. Make sure to give it an IP in the same network. All other routers do the same in AP mode.

When used as an AP it doesnt recognise the LAN ports as internet so it cannot use features that rely on internet such as cloud. LAN things like SAMBA file sharing, media server and printer server should still work.

With some Linksys Smart Wifi routers the standard "LAN to LAN" configuration mentioned will still have some features disabled, can create issues accessing it's Web UI and it's time will never update. I recommend Internet Settings "Bridge Mode" to use the WRT1200AC as an AP.

There is a more advanced setup that allows you to keep all the functionality of the WRT1200AC in this scenario. Add the WRT1200AC to your network as a router instead of as a Gateway.

Advanced routing setup:
  1. Assign an IP Subnet that won't conflict with the main network. (Ex: 192.168.50.1) "Connectivity => Local Network => Edit"
  2. Set Static IP Address information on the WAN\Internet Port that is on the main network. (Ex: 192.168.1.2) "Connectivity => Internet Settings => IPv4 => Edit"
  3. Disabled NAT. "Connectivity => Advanced Routing => Dynamic Routing(RIP)"
  4. Connect the WRT1200AC WAN to the main network.
  5. If the routing doesn't automatically work between the main IP Subnet and the WRT1200AC Subnet then add a Static Route in your main router for the WRT1200AC LAN IP Subnet. (Ex Static Route: "name=wrt1200ac, destination=192.168.50.0, mask=255.255.255.0, gateway=192.168.1.2, interface=lan)

With some Linksys Smart Wifi routers the standard "LAN to LAN" configuration mentioned will still have some features disabled, can create issues accessing it's Web UI and it's time will never update. I recommend Internet Settings "Bridge Mode" to use the WRT1200AC as an AP.

There is a more advanced setup that allows you to keep all the functionality of the WRT1200AC in this scenario. Add the WRT1200AC to your network as a router instead of as a Gateway.

Advanced routing setup:
  1. Assign an IP Subnet that won't conflict with the main network. (Ex: 192.168.50.1) "Connectivity => Local Network => Edit"
  2. Set Static IP Address information on the WAN\Internet Port that is on the main network. (Ex: 192.168.1.2) "Connectivity => Internet Settings => IPv4 => Edit"
  3. Disabled NAT. "Connectivity => Advanced Routing => Dynamic Routing(RIP)"
  4. Connect the WRT1200AC WAN to the main network.
  5. If the routing doesn't automatically work between the main IP Subnet and the WRT1200AC Subnet then add a Static Route in your main router for the WRT1200AC LAN IP Subnet. (Ex Static Route: "name=wrt1200ac, destination=192.168.50.0, mask=255.255.255.0, gateway=192.168.1.2, interface=lan)

No, just put it in bridge mode, and it'll act as an AP, want to disable DHCP, and plug into one of the LAN ports.

Note the IP, so you can access it directly, as www.linksyssmartwifi... login won't work any more...

What you're suggesting is a complex solution vs. a simple problem...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!