What's new

WRT1900AC won't recognize external drive after reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SunrisePro

Regular Contributor
Apparently the internet was out at 5am when my wife woke up. So she rebooted the router and when it didn't come back, she rebooted the router and the modem. (I'm going to have to lecture her about how it's the modem if the wifi is running properly).

As of right now, the router does not see the hard drive plugged into the USB3 port. It had been working fine for the couple of weeks we've had the router - copying files from computer to the drive, watching videos from the drive on the tv, etc. The last time the storage device was in use was last night, so clearly it's all my wife's fault :p

Now in the Linksys SmartWiFi settings, all it says is There is no drive in the external port no matter how many times I refresh the setting.
  • I tried rebooting the router again, no dice.
  • I tried unplugging & replugging the drive - no dice.
  • I tried unplugging the drive, turning it off, turning it on and then plugging it back in - no dice.
I disconnected the drive completely and plugged it into a laptop - and Windows said the drive had errors. I let it scan & fix the errors; the drive mounted normally and I could navigate the files.

So something's up - any ideas?

It's clear; shoot the wife!

:D:D:D

So, the router can now see the drive and folders again?

It can, after I reset it to factory settings. I saved my config first so I was able to restore all my settings easily. Apparently something happened overnight, one of the kids mentioned the hard drive being inaccessible after I went to bed. Hoping it wasn't the router, it's been great so far.