What's new

WRT1900ACS router as OpenVPN Client?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

w4rh4mm3r

New Around Here
Hello friends, I'm new here at SNB and have been reading the forum from a while, but still have a doubt since weeks. I'm a VPN services user and I'm looking for extend that protection all over my network (Raspberry Pi, wife's tablet that she refuses to install freak apps...)

So I decided to buy a router with OpenVPN capabilities and did it for a AC-RT68U from Asus (great reviews). I was expecting a bit loss of speed, but after installing Merlin FW it barely reached to 20Mbps over a line of 100Mbps (what the...). After a lot of searching I reached to the problem: OpenVPN eats CPU processor a lot, so the stock 800/633 Mhz was inevitably short. After a bit overclocking (1400/800) I was able to get 36Mbps (and 90ºC @ SoC), so I reverted back all that tweaks (OC and FW) and return it in order to buy a better router.

Then I reached the conclusion that I need a router with the fastest CPU as possible. And then came to me the image of that "old" Linksys (I said old because bring me memories of WRT54G) WRT1900ACS with dual core 1.6Ghz and OpenWRT / DD-WRT capabilities. I've encountered facing opinions about such router, and this is for what I'm writting this post. It's worth the buy given I live in a small apartment and don't need overwhelming WiFi signal (for that I see is for what the reviews give bad results)?

P.S.: pfSense and similar solutions are discarded since I cannot put another machine in my living room. The wife could ask for divorce for it.

Thank you all in advance!

Linksys' firmware for OpenVPN support is server only, not as a OpenVPN client...

You'll get more out of DDWRT perhaps...

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!