What's new

WRT54G Replacement for Modest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnqsiouse

New Around Here
After 11 years of practically 24/7 service, my WRT54G died the other day. At this point, I wish I could just fix it.

Anyway, my (ADSL) speed is 2.55/0.43 Mbps.

Devices
  • Wired PC [x1]
  • iPhone 5C [x2]
  • iPhone 3GS (rarely on network) [x1]
  • Macbook (2006) [x1]
  • iPhone 6 Plus (rarely on network) [x1]
  • Wired Sprint AIRAVE (signal booster) [x1]
  • Fire 7" (soon to be on network) [x1]
Priorities
  1. Stability/security
  2. Low power consumption
  3. Modest price (<= 100 USD)
  4. QoS
  5. Third-party firmware
  6. Extra features (guest networks, USB access)
Range, Throughput, and Stability
The WRT54G had been faithfully providing service throughout the house (not many barriers between it and the devices), so I'm not that concerned about range. I could provide details if required. Based on my speeds, I realize that almost any router will probably do the trick. My main concern is having the router on 24/7, potentially for a few years. I'm not seeking to future-proof my purchase; for now, it's between DSL and more expensive cable (no U-verse or FiOS).

Extra Features
Though there are a few devices on the network, bandwidth hasn't usually been an issue, but quality QoS would be a bonus. Usually, most of the devices aren't active at the same time. I see the Fire 7", the iPhone 5Cs, and wired PC as being the main network devices. We've gone thus far without many features common in today's routers, but I wouldn't be against having guest networks, USB access, and the like.

Considerations
TP-LINK Archer C5/C7
Even though AC1200 and above seem like overkill for me, I was considering the TP-LINK Archer C5 or C7 (initially $83 vs $91). With the initial price difference, I wasn't sure if I should consider the C5 over the C7. Now, however, the C5 is currently $67, making it a tempting choice. Based on what I've read of a few TP-LINK models, though, I'm concerned about a few things. Though I'm used to poor interfaces, TP-LINK's reportedly high need to reboot, either upon changing settings or to reconnect Wi-Fi devices, concerns me. Overall, if the router is stable, I wouldn't mind as much. Additionally, I saw concerns about the lack of a heatsink. My main concerns are now regarding the firmware. The C5 being sold seems to be v2.x, which as far as I could tell, is not supported by DD-WRT or OpenWRT yet.​
Linksys EA3650
Seems expensive (unless refurbished) compared to the C5's price and features.​
RT-AC56U
I had also been considering the RT-AC56U, particularly to try out Merlin, but it's currently priced at $103 (before $10 rebate) and seems too expensive for my needs.​

Final Thoughts
Overall, would I be better off considering an N-class router for now like the Linksys E900 (with Tomato) or TP-LINK TL-WR841N?
I often see AC1200 being recommended as the "new N300." The 2015 guide in particular mentions AC1200 as a good starting point, especially for a small space and older wireless devices. If my Internet changes, that could also help me avoid having to purchase new hardware.

I am concerned with value, surely, but I don't want to be too cheap. With sales just around the corner, I'm left wondering if I should wait for better hardware at a more attractive price.

Thank you for your time.

my WRT54G died the other day. At this point, I wish I could just fix it.

Are you certain it's dead? Might be the AC adapter has finally given up the ghost...

The E900 is decent enough, and with Tomato, you might be fine... (check Linksys Refurb section on their online store, might be some pretty decent deals there)

Are you certain it's dead? Might be the AC adapter has finally given up the ghost...

The E900 is decent enough, and with Tomato, you might be fine... (check Linksys Refurb section on their online store, might be some pretty decent deals there)
I had recently gone out of town; when I returned, the unit was unresponsive. I couldn't connect to it via a wired PC. Plugging it in results in a whirring/buzzing noise initially, then the power LED continues to blink. I tried a hard reset to no avail. Upon opening it up, I didn't see any blown capacitors, but when I plugged it back in, the noise seemed to be coming from the chokes. I thought it might be the adapter, but don't have a suitable replacement on hand. I might poke around and see if I can find one.

In the meantime, I'll check out the refurbished offers again. Truthfully, I'm a little hesitant about buying a refurbished unit. Would you happen to have any experience in that regard?

In the meantime, I'll check out the refurbished offers again. Truthfully, I'm a little hesitant about buying a refurbished unit. Would you happen to have any experience in that regard?

Refurb from the OE manf is usually low risk - Linksys seems to be good in this regard...

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a suitable adapter lying around. I had wanted to test something and noticed the LEDs were all dimly lit when I plugged in the unit.

As for the other matter, I'd been looking through the refurbished Linksys models. I saw the AC1750 EA6500v2 was at $59.99 and there is Tomato (Shibby) support for it. I mention that because quite a few reviews mentioned firmware issues. Is that a decent option? I also saw in the SNB review that storage performance was less than ideal, but I don't think that'll be a factor in my case.

I can't help but feel like I'm overthinking this and should just get something. Either way, thanks again.

Well, just in case anyone is interested, I wanted to provide an update.

WRT54G: 2004-2015
I was able to obtain an appropriate adapter and confirmed the fault was with the router. The LEDs remained dimly lit and I could not connect to the router via any method; it didn't respond to a ping either.

Ultimately, I settled on the E900 and am testing it out now. Though it lacks the front-facing status lights that I'm used to, it's providing everything I need so far. I haven't noticed any range issues and am able to access the network throughout the property. Should it not work out, the E2500v3 was and still is under consideration as an alternative, but would likely be refurbished. Also under consideration were the TP-LINK TL-WDR3500/3600.

The Archer C5 was ruled out because it was only $10 less than the Archer C7 during recent sales. Since I was still hesitant about the firmware and user reports of instability/failure, I decided to pass. From what I could find, however, the TP-LINK models reportedly use less power on average. That's probably not a concern for most users. On that note, however, I decided against the (refurbished) EA6500v2 option because of its supposedly higher power usage.

Finally, I noticed the RT-AC56U would have come out to $49 after two rebates, but I had some reservations. First, though apparently normal, it and similar ASUS routers seem to run on the hot side. Where the router is located, and due to ambient temperatures here, that concerned me. Second, I read user reports of 2.4 GHz issues, yet unfixed from what I could tell, including dropped connections and low downlink throughput (unlikely to affect me currently).

Anyway, I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
If power supply was good then it was probably just a bad capacitor. They're cheap but u would need soldering skills to swap it out.
Iirc there's only one or two caps that would need replacing and they're tied to the incoming power supply hence ur flickering leds

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!