What's new

WTFast Setup ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mears148

Occasional Visitor
Got my new ASUS RT-AC3100 today and was trying to figure out how to properly setup WTFast. Does enabling it simply run everything through the GPN or do I have to specify a game and client in the rules? There isn't really any documentation about this with the router but I would love to try this with something like Halo 5 on Xbox One. Not sure how I would ensure it was working though. Any thoughts or experiences out there? Thanks.

Got my new ASUS RT-AC3100 today and was trying to figure out how to properly setup WTFast. Does enabling it simply run everything through the GPN or do I have to specify a game and client in the rules? There isn't really any documentation about this with the router but I would love to try this with something like Halo 5 on Xbox One. Not sure how I would ensure it was working though. Any thoughts or experiences out there? Thanks.

I just Googled WTFast and I would avoid it. It attempts to improve latency by proxying your connection, which is not logical.

Proxying will slow your connection, 99% of the time.

Most of the time, you cannot improve your ping. You can limit the fluctuations in your ping by implementing QoS/traffic-shaping, but that is about it.

PS - If you have ADSL you can improve your ping (from ~30ms to ~10ms, in my case) by assuring your connection is "fast path" rather than "interleaved".

Currently, WTFast does not work with consoles. It is very limited on the games that it supports on this router. Currently, it is a gimmick and brings nothing to the router. I would just leave it off. Maybe they will develop it further in future firmware releases. But that hardly ever comes to fruition. I would guess that future firmware updates only add to the list of PC games supported on the router which is very limited at this time.
http://forum.wtfast.com/discussion/369/wtfast-on-asus-rt-ac88u-router

I suspect that WTFast will work as advertised in a very specific scenario: when your ISP peering is providing you with a sub-optimal route to a game server, and the WTFast entry node might be using a better path. I suspect this might be mostly the case for people playing on oversea game servers (Americans playing on an European server, for instance).

It might also help if there's a WTFast entry node really close to you, and they were using better backbone providers than your ISP. But again, a very specific scenario.

Thanks for the responses. I figured this might be the case, but was cautiously optimistic. I will disable this for now until, if ever, they add to this functionality.

Nullity,

I do have ADSL with Verizon (3Mbps/768Kbps). I am assuming the setting you are referring to when you speak about reducing latency is done on the modem side, not the router correct? I might have to look into this as you have peaked my interest. Thanks.

Fast path can only be enabled by your ISP, no setting at the modem exists. Enabling Fast Path can make the line unstable though, or reduce its maximum speed depending on the setup. In any case, only your ISP can help you with this.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Fast path can only be enabled by your ISP, no setting at the modem exists. Enabling Fast Path can make the line unstable though, or reduce its maximum speed depending on the setup. In any case, only your ISP can help you with this.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

My ISP-supplied Sagemcom 1704n has a choice between fastpath and interleaved. My ping went from ~30ms to ~10ms, but it could be coincidence related to line quality or something beyond my control. My ping was ~30ms for weeks though. I dunno... just happy to have the better ping. :)

@Mears148, if your ping to the first network node beyond your gateway router is ~10ms, you probably already are using fastpath.

My current average bit error rate is 3E-14, so fastpath works well. A few hundred errors out of ~4.75 billion cells is tolerable. I forget what bit error rate maximum the standards are built around. -9 or -11 maybe. Edit: Seems to be 10e-7 according to ANSI T1.413.

Last edited:
in a PPP network you can have multiple gateways. The latency difference between these gateways can be significant and you can connect to a specific gateway if you know the address. a PPP scanner will reveal the gateways and details that you can use it to connect. On mikrotik routerOS you can connect to multiple gateways at the same time and packets will used the best path. If your ISP uses multiple gateways it helps latency wise based on distance and load on the gateway.

in a PPP network you can have multiple gateways. The latency difference between these gateways can be significant and you can connect to a specific gateway if you know the address. a PPP scanner will reveal the gateways and details that you can use it to connect. On mikrotik routerOS you can connect to multiple gateways at the same time and packets will used the best path. If your ISP uses multiple gateways it helps latency wise based on distance and load on the gateway.

I do not think a PPP network is a thing, since it is strictly "point-to-point".

Anyway, I think most of your post is beyond the scope of this thread, as it mostly relates to business-grade networking or Mikrotik-only features.

Googling these guys, it's a fast/easy way to get banhammered on accounts with some game services..

https://www.google.com/#q=wtfast+banned

That might make sense since it works like a VPN. Means that a lot of people share their IP pool, including some not-too-legit gamers. Might get you banned as the game company mistakes the IP as being yours.

That might make sense since it works like a VPN. Means that a lot of people share their IP pool, including some not-too-legit gamers. Might get you banned as the game company mistakes the IP as being yours.
Makes perfect sense to me. I am definitely turning this feature off. Cool concept, but a bit premature for a mainstream router option it seems.

My ISP-supplied Sagemcom 1704n has a choice between fastpath and interleaved. My ping went from ~30ms to ~10ms, but it could be coincidence related to line quality or something beyond my control. My ping was ~30ms for weeks though. I dunno... just happy to have the better ping. :)

@Mears148, if your ping to the first network node beyond your gateway router is ~10ms, you probably already are using fastpath.

My current average bit error rate is 3E-14, so fastpath works well. A few hundred errors out of ~4.75 billion cells is tolerable. I forget what bit error rate maximum the standards are built around. -9 or -11 maybe. Edit: Seems to be 10e-7 according to ANSI T1.413.
Nullity, I am going to check my first hop ping time when I get home cause this seems like a cool option if it is available to me. Thanks for the tip!

So I guess now we will be charged for this non working feature????

Hello WTFast User,

Thank you for being a kick-butt User! It's been a great year for WTFast, and we have been constantly finding new ways to innovate our product and create a better experience for you.

In order for WTFast to continue to grow, we have made changes to our subscription model which will affect Free WTFast Users.

With that being said, the following changes will be put into effect on Dec 14, 2015;

• All WTFast Free accounts will be upgraded to our premium WTFast Advanced version
  • After 14 days, you will need to subscribe to one of the payment plans
  • But wait!WTFast is offering you a limited-time holiday pricing;25% off all subscription plans! Starting December 14, 2015@12:00 PST and ending December 31, 2015 @24:00 PST
Our goal is to ensure every WTFast user has a positive and seamless experience. We believe in the importance of having a fast and consistent internet connection when competitively gaming. We appreciate your business and look forward to making 2016 an amazingyear.

Happy Gaming!

-The WTFast Team

P.S. Watch for our exciting announcement in early 2016 that will help put YOU in control of your gaming connection!

So I guess now we will be charged for this non working feature????

Hello WTFast User,

Thank you for being a kick-butt User! It's been a great year for WTFast, and we have been constantly finding new ways to innovate our product and create a better experience for you.

In order for WTFast to continue to grow, we have made changes to our subscription model which will affect Free WTFast Users.

With that being said, the following changes will be put into effect on Dec 14, 2015;

• All WTFast Free accounts will be upgraded to our premium WTFast Advanced version
  • After 14 days, you will need to subscribe to one of the payment plans
  • But wait!WTFast is offering you a limited-time holiday pricing;25% off all subscription plans! Starting December 14, 2015@12:00 PST and ending December 31, 2015 @24:00 PST
Our goal is to ensure every WTFast user has a positive and seamless experience. We believe in the importance of having a fast and consistent internet connection when competitively gaming. We appreciate your business and look forward to making 2016 an amazingyear.

Happy Gaming!

-The WTFast Team

P.S. Watch for our exciting announcement in early 2016 that will help put YOU in control of your gaming connection!

Ask them specifically what happens to Asus router owners that come with WTFast support. if they did change their plans right as Asus launched the router with all the marketing push behind it mentionning lifetime, free support, then WTFast might get some lawyers knocking at their doors really soon...

I just registered for this and you can only play the games that they have in the drop down menu which isn't much. I wanted to try it playing Destiny on the PS4. From what I'm seeing you just put mac address in and game and supposedly it does it's thing. Like stated before forget this feature is even there. I never had a problem gaming why would I need to pay for this extra service that may not help me.

Ask them specifically what happens to Asus router owners that come with WTFast support. if they did change their plans right as Asus launched the router with all the marketing push behind it mentionning lifetime, free support, then WTFast might get some lawyers knocking at their doors really soon...

Will do Merlin, Thanks.

You cant even get intouch with anyone other then the forums, if you want to get customer service you have to be a paid member??? I have posted a few posts on this matter the last couple of days and no response other then other wtf forum members complaing about these issues.