Xbox 360 Slim - 11n slow, 11g normal

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by Quad5Ny, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Quad5Ny

Quad5Ny Occasional Visitor

TLDR: Xbox 360s Wireless N is slow as shit, Wireless G is normal. Did lots of tests, all other devices normal. Is probably going to replace the 360. Microsofts Xbox live max download speed is only 3MB/s. :rolleyes:

---

I'm sort of pulling my hair out here trying to figure this out. Please be vocal if you have a suggestion, even if its telling me I'm a idiot.

My Xbox 360 Slim's wireless transfer speeds wont go over 400KB/s when connecting to my 11n network. Yet if I set the router to G only everything is great and I get 2MB/s.

I've tried changing every setting that should make a difference and every variation of them (CTS, Regulatory, DTIM Interval, Preamble, 11n Preamble, Afterburner, WMM). The only thing that gets me decent speeds is disabling 11n.

No other device I own has any trouble. :confused: RSSI is about -8 dBm (which is pretty dam good). Up to this point I've done everything but put the 360 in the same room as my router and/or try a second router.

Code:
    Router: RT-N66U w/1.0.0.3 CFE patch
    Firmware: Toastman Tomato STD RT-N (K26, MIPSR2, 64K NVRAM) Mini v1.28.0500.5

P.S. Yes, my connection is enough to saturate 11g; 50Mbps. So forcing 11g for 2.4GHz really isn't a option I would like to consider.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. Quad5Ny

I just tried a 2012 AirPort Express and while the it slightly better (700KB/s), 11n its still not working correctly on the 360.

Next I'm going to try moving a router into the same room and then buy a new Xbox 360 Slim.

4. Quad5Ny

OK, I'm in the same dam room as the 360 now and it's not any better (thank god for that 50ft Cat6 cable I bought). So I guess I'm out to buy a new 360.

Does anyone have advise on convincing Microsoft the POS they shipped is broken and to repair it?

5. Quad5Ny

For a little further testing I put the AirPort Express in "Join a Network" mode, joined my 11n network and connected (wired) the AirPort Express to the 360.

I then started a download and placed it (the AE) in different positions around my Xbox. I wasn't able to find any dead-zones.

My only conclusion at this point is the 360's Wireless card is dying or Microsoft Wireless Driver is f*cked up.

---

Also if anyone is curious, apparently the best (average) download speed you can get out of a Xbox/Microsofts servers is 3MB/s, and the transfer speed fluctuates all over the place (See Picture).

Xcom Demo (1.5GB), Connected via Ethernet directly to router, No other Internet activity during download:

Attached Files:

6. Quad5Ny

It seems the 360 is only negotiating a connection rate of 5.5Mbps with the Access Point.

If I go into the routers console and execute "wl rate 54" it will temporally bring my download speeds up to 2MB/s. (The rate command only supports up to 54 but I'm sure I could 3MB/s if I could go higher.)

Unfortunately this is not a real solution. Now I really have to get a second Xbox to test this (a third N router as well) because if this effects other 360's I have to prove it to Microsoft and get them to fix it. God damnit. =|

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. Radiator

Radiator Occasional Visitor

8. Quad5Ny

Yes, Sort of. Instead of a different wireless adapter, I used a spare router (RT-N16) I had lying around. It's a half-a*s fix but it works.

FYI this is (apparently) a known issue with the 360's wireless adapter and some routers. Bluepoint pointed it out to me in this other thread I made regarding the issue.

More details will be here from now on (page 15 is where I started posting):
    http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7774&page=15