Xbox live/ PS3 QoS settings?

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by philwoz98, Feb 21, 2013.

1. philwoz98

philwoz98 Occasional Visitor

Hi, I recently picked up a n66 (currently running merlin) and was wondering if any one had a detailed way of setting up an optimized gaming QoS. I switched over from a dlink dgl 4500, which on there forums had a detailed steps for the "every day user" to get the best gaming setup. http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10435.0

My question is, would these same ports and protocols be the same on this device or is there a better guide or setup out there. Thanks for any help on this particular topic and please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

2. got_milk

got_milk Regular Contributor

QoS doesn't really have a "one size fits all" configuration. Every network is different, with different bandwidth available and different requirements.

In the RT-N66U, you could provide the MAC address of the Xbox 360/PS3 to prioritize that entirely, or give priority to ports 53, 88 and 3074 (TCP/UDP) (for Xbox 360) which is what I've done with my network. I don't know what ports PS3 uses, but a quick Google search will tell you.

You may find this post that I made a little while back to be of some use. It's showing you the basics of how I configured QoS for my network.