What's new

ZenWiFi AX - Firmware Bugs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MintyTrebor

New Around Here
I have just installed a pair of ZenWiFi AX routers in Access Point / Mesh mode (using LAN interconnectivity between the AP's) to replace my faulty existing Mesh AP's.

While they are "working" from a WiFi client connectivity perspective, there seems to be a major issue with the firmware reporting that the connected wifi clients are actually LAN wired clients.

No biggie huh...? Well no, because the advanced wifi steering tools are not accessible as the firmware thinks all the clients are wired; and secondly (and this is a security issue), the guest wifi no longer restricts guest access to internet only for (I assume) the same reason.

If I check the wifi logs the firmware reports active wifi clients, so I know the system is aware of the clients at some level. I have factory reset the devices twice now, with no change in behaviour.

This seems to be a major issue with the firmware, and I am struggling to believe ASUS would release something this flawed, so I am leaning towards a H/W issue. I have raised a ticket with ASUS, but I am wondering if there is anyone here who has this model and can confirm/deny these issues...

Many Thanks

They are LAN wired clients to the main router. It has no way of knowing otherwise in AP mode.

I don't think this is a hardware issue when it seems to be working as expected.

Guest Wifi is only possible on master router, all AP and Mesh-nodes dont support it or give no isolation to your intranet as master router wont know that they use guest access on the node.
Maybe with future 386 build it might support this.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@L&LD : I would agree with your statement if the issue was constrained to just the wifi clients connected to the slave AP/Router - but all wifi clients (even the clients connecting directly to the master AP/Routers wifi signal) are shown as wired clients in the web config.

@Grisu : I would be disappointed if guest mode is not possible in this config (especially since my previous mesh solution offered this feature), but I can understand the constraint. I do find it strange that when choosing AP operating mode, ASUS hides all of the features in the web config that are no longer needed/work, but then leaves Guest Wifi available if it does not work.

Thanks again

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!