What's new

ZenWifi AX No 160mhz for backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BatJoe

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I know this product is rather new so there may not be many out there with one, but I recently picked up the ASUS ZenWifi AX and have noticed a few oddities.

I have no 160mhz option for the dedicated backhaul. I guess I could assume that since I have Wifi 6 enabled in the firmware it is working, but it is strange to not see it listed as an option. Only 20/40/80 is shown. It is not restricted in my region. Also, the WAN on the mesh node does not allow you to connect a device as if it were LAN. It is basically a do nothing port. Apparently you are suppose to be able to be able to use it as a LAN option on the node.

Over at Dong Knows Tech, he has a screenshot showing 160mhz and states his WAN works as a LAN. I am using the same firmware number he has.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I tried a fresh firmware install and still nothing. Trying to avoid doing a complete reset, guess that is what I should try next. If that is it, why would that happen?

I tried a fresh firmware install and still nothing. Trying to avoid doing a complete reset, guess that is what I should try next. If that is it, why would that happen?

All firmware use should begin with a factory default reset. Until that is done, you could be chasing unsolvable Gremlins.

OE

I show 160MHZ on the backhaul - FW 3.0.0.4 - 386.2496 - Live in Michigan USA

Just got mine yesterday and setup this morning, a little tricky on getting the 1 node (downstairs) to connect with Main (upstairs). However, looking good now and cautiously impressed - ask me in 1 week - speed is not the issue but connectivity to node is. I replaced a AC-5300 just because I want some new tech and went to mesh system, looking forward to Merlin support at some point.

I haven't learned at as an old guy to wait before you buy the latest because I know it takes ASUS 3-6 months to iron out bugs in FW. In the mean time, it is extremely fast and rips with Cloudflare DNS setting.

Good luck

My guess is that a new feature may have new nvram variables or require settings to a group of existing variables which would cause problems unless all changed at once.

I am not as enthusiastic about factory default resets as some on this forum. However, when you have a new router a factory settings reset AFTER upgrading the firmware is very important.

I am not as enthusiastic about factory default resets as some on this forum.

It only seems so because without knowing the history of an issue presented, the default recommendation is to start at the beginning... a factory default reset... which is often overlooked by the user and can be the source of odd behavior. Nobody wants to waste their time troubleshooting an install that was not begun properly with a reset.

OE

160 MHz will require your region to allow DFS channels above 100. After that, you need to chose a channel that's offers 160 MHz of continuous bandwidth, like 100:

upload_2020-2-15_13-33-17.png

I show 160MHZ on the backhaul - FW 3.0.0.4 - 386.2496 - Live in Michigan USA

Just got mine yesterday and setup this morning, a little tricky on getting the 1 node (downstairs) to connect with Main (upstairs). However, looking good now and cautiously impressed - ask me in 1 week - speed is not the issue but connectivity to node is. I replaced a AC-5300 just because I want some new tech and went to mesh system, looking forward to Merlin support at some point.

I haven't learned at as an old guy to wait before you buy the latest because I know it takes ASUS 3-6 months to iron out bugs in FW. In the mean time, it is extremely fast and rips with Cloudflare DNS setting.

Good luck

Curado:

Are you able to use the WAN port on your node as a LAN for a connected device?

160 MHz will require your region to allow DFS channels above 100. After that, you need to chose a channel that's offers 160 MHz of continuous bandwidth, like 100:

View attachment 21411

Merlin: In Canada, 160mhz should be available, correct?

ASUS apparently cannot reproduce my issues. However, I have submitted through the router feedback my report/logs to them.

Okay, so what I've found is 160mhz is only available on my ZenWifi after inital setup and not adding the additional node. Once I add the additional Zen node, my GUI changes and the 160mhz goes missing. But from what I am hearing this should not be happening.

And there is also the mystery still as to why my extra WAN port on the node becomes inactive and cannot be used for a LAN device connection. I tried connecting my nVidia Shield into the WAN on the node, the connection works for a short while, then disconnects and I have to reset the connection.

Last edited:
Yes, 160mhz is not available yet for front-haul, the issue I am having is that I don't appear to have settings for 160mhz for the back-haul, which I should.

Yes, 160mhz is not available yet for front-haul, the issue I am having is that I don't appear to have settings for 160mhz for the back-haul, which I should.
Here is what I see on my device under "Wireless/ General" for the 5GHz -2
( not sure if this helps.)

_
upload_2020-2-16_18-48-58.png

Definitely not what I see on my ZenWifi. I only see 20/40/80 mhz and no checkbox for 160mhz! I've tried various different settings, such as adjusting back-haul channel, DFS, etc. Nothing.

And as I was also saying, the WAN port on my satellite node when used as a LAN port for a device loses connection after a short while.

I'm being told none of this is normal for my device, yet no solutions. ASUS has reached out to me, so perhaps they will be able to provide fixes for me. But at this point, I'm probably going to return my ZenWifi, as I don't like having a product that apparently is not like everyone elses!

Also, I noticed the other day MU-MIMO is not on option in the firmware for 5ghz-1, but is there for the back-haul 5ghz-2.

I don't know, it just seems ASUS has rushed this product/firmware to market. Yet, every past ASUS firmware for me has had consistent options in the firmware.

Last edited:
Definitely not what I see on my ZenWifi. I only see 20/40/80 mhz and no checkbox for 160mhz! I've tried various different settings, such as adjusting back-haul channel, DFS, etc. Nothing.

Have you checked System Log -> Wireless Log to see if the driver is seeing 8 contiguous channels available for 5GHz-2.

What you see there is dependent on the region the router is set to and ASUS seem to have consolidated the available regions ending up with some regions that should be able to use 160MHz not being able to. This observation is based on what I have seen on the GT-AX11000 so may not be the same in your case.

AFAICS setting the router to the US region is the only one that will get you 160MHz on 5GHz-2 but I haven't checked all the available regions.

Problem for me is setting region to US uses several DFS channels I'm not allowed to use here and other options I've tried don't allow enough contiguous channels for 160MHz operation on 5GHz-2 even though I should be able to based on what's allowed in my region.

It occurs to me that changing the region on the AiMesh master might interfere with the nodes since I think the region setting is local to each router.
So, since a node starts from a factory reset, it could be a problem if the region is also reset when that's done.

My region definitely allows 160mhz. In fact, during inital set up, before adding the extra Zen node, 160mhz is there! Then once the node is added, its gone.

I think this was confirmed that 160MHz width is only available for the backhaul/node?

I am pretty sure I read this somewhere on this forum. ;)

My region definitely allows 160mhz. In fact, during inital set up, before adding the extra Zen node, 160mhz is there! Then once the node is added, its gone.

So does my region but my AX11000 came with a default region set that doesn't allow 160MHz on 5GHz radio 2.
And, AFAICS, none of the available regions that don't allow at least the main few channels that I'm not allowed to use have sufficient contiguous channels for 160MHz operation.

That was what I was trying to say in my post.
But it does sound like this is a different problem based on your post and the following one.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!