What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 2.5G WAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quan

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I just bought a ZenWiFi XT8. I have a fiber optic modem/router with a 10G port and four 1G ports. The 2.5G WAN port on the XT8 crashes when I plug in the 10G connection. When I use the 1G connection, the XT8 works fine. Anybody else have this problem? Thank you.

Does the 10gb port on the ISP modem support 2.5gb? (If it's sfp to copper, then is the sfp adaptor capable of 2.5gb. some are locked to 10gb only)
If not, might need a cheapish 10gb switch that supports 2.5gb to do what you need.

Does the 10gb port on the ISP modem support 2.5gb? (If it's sfp to copper, then is the sfp adaptor capable of 2.5gb. some are locked to 10gb only)
If not, might need a cheapish 10gb switch that supports 2.5gb to do what you need.
Thanks for the feedback. I used to have a Netgear Orbi and the 10G connection worked fine in the Orbi 1G WAN port.

Ok, does the modem support the 2.5gb though? / what model modem is it, should be able to check the specs very easily to find out if it's the modem causing the lockups or just asus being kinda rubbish as usual :)

Thanks for the feedback. I used to have a Netgear Orbi and the 10G connection worked fine in the Orbi 1G WAN port.
10G ports and multi-gig (2.5/5/10) ports are two different things. A 10G does not necessarily support 2.5/5G but it is backwards compatible with 1G port. That's why plugging a 10G port into a 1G port will most likely work, but not a 2.5/5 multi-gig port

I just heard back from ASUS technical support. Unfortunately, the 2.5G WAN port on the XT8 cannot handle an incoming 10G Internet connection. Can anybody recommend a 10G (ethernet) to 2.5G switch? Thank you.

I don’t know if it is the firmware update on my modem or the RC-8 firmware on the XT8, but I can now use the 2.5G Wan port on the XT8 connected to the 10G port on my modem.

Attachments

• 7E79DF59-3E1B-4DBF-BCE2-C6DD7E737ECF.jpeg
    7E79DF59-3E1B-4DBF-BCE2-C6DD7E737ECF.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 253
@
I don’t know if it is the firmware update on my modem or the RC-8 firmware on the XT8, but I can now use the 2.5G Wan port on the XT8 connected to the 10G port on my modem.
Can you clarify version of the firmware you are running on the XT8? You mention "RC-8 firmware", but I believe it was a typoe.

@

Can you clarify version of the firmware you are running on the XT8? You mention "RC-8 firmware", but I believe it was a typoe.
It is a typo. I am now using the RC-3 beta firmware and the 10G to 2.5G still works.

I just heard back from ASUS technical support. Unfortunately, the 2.5G WAN port on the XT8 cannot handle an incoming 10G Internet connection. Can anybody recommend a 10G (ethernet) to 2.5G switch? Thank you.

From what I've read, a 2.5G Multi-Gig port connects at 1G when connected to a 10G port, since the 10G standard pre-dates and does not support a 2.5G connection. So, your results are curious to me.

OE

From what I've read, a 2.5G Multi-Gig port connects at 1G when connected to a 10G port, since the 10G standard pre-dates and does not support a 2.5G connection. So, your results are curious to me.

OE
I am as well very curious about the results.

OE
See post above.

See post above.

What is your router WAN port link speed listed under Status\Ethernet ports? It must be 2.5 Gbps if you can speedtest over 1 Gbps.

Mine from my AX86U with Primary WAN set to 2.5G WAN and the 2.5G port connected to a 2.5G modem port (LAN2 at 100 Mbps is a sleeping PC; LAN5 is the router default WAN/Internet port.):

Screenshot 2022-02-03 132323.jpg

OE

Last edited:
What is your router WAN port link speed listed under Status\Ethernet ports? It must be 2.5 Gbps if you can speedtest over 1 Gbps.

Mine from my AX86U with Primary WAN set to 2.5G WAN and the 2.5G port connected to a 2.5G modem port (LAN2 at 100 Mbps is a sleeping PC; LAN5 is the router default WAN/Internet port.):

View attachment 39230

OE
The status doesn’t show in the RC-3 firmware. On the previous firmware, I had 2.5G WAN connection.

The status doesn’t show in the RC-3 firmware. On the previous firmware, I had 2.5G WAN connection.

Well... I guess that 10G port supports 2.5G... or its a 2.5G Multi-Gig port in disguise! :)

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!