What's new

ZenWiFi XT8 crash & rebooting every 10mins

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scottp

Occasional Visitor
Syslog:
May 29 10:06:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): wl0.1: Assoc 80:7D:3A:5B:2F:15, status: Successful (0)
May 29 10:06:22 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 7726deb9
May 29 10:06:22 kernel: pgd = c0014000

This looks like a bug or hardware fault, any opinions on what is most likely, these are new to me arrived yesterday, bought from ebay, so there's every chance that someone is offloading faulty stuff they cant return. Bought in UK and have US style plugs with adapters, IDK is Asus supply them like that for UK market?

I have done minimal configuration to get them setup, just added DHCP option 61 via nvram for Sky BB UK. changed SSID and not much else. I have had to remove them from my network to keep the family happy for time being. I was using an RT-AC66U before, it started randomly rebooting ~once per day and having tried new power supply, reflashing from merlin to stock, I decided it was time to retire it and replace with XT8 ZenWifi. For now I have installed the router my ISP supplied and that is working fine, but a bit slow wifi. I have a second ancient Netgear WNDR3300 which is wired to the main router working as an AP for my IOT devices and cameras. At this point I have a doubt that something on my network may be causing problems - In addition to what I mentioned above I have a powerline ethernet going to my garage and a couple of cheap unmanaged 1Gbe switches. My BB is about 70Mbit and I dont run VPNs, I have about 45 devices split between the old router and new

My next plan is to add the Zenwifi units back into the network in AP mode and start slowly migrating devices over on wifi instead of my ISP router. I dont think its generally a good idea to remove a router from a network and replace it with another with the same SSID and security, which is what I did, I was seeing a lot of repeated dhcp stuff with certain nodes on the zenwifi. I suppose if it all starts working ok I can either turn off wifi on the SKy router and leave it like that OR remove the sky router and configure DHCP option 61 again and have the Zenwifi making the WAN connection in router mode OR double NAT which is my least favoured option.

Can anyone suggest anything different or should I file and ebay return "item not as described" and get rid of zenwifi and move on?

Syslog:
May 29 10:06:20 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): wl0.1: Assoc 80:7D:3A:5B:2F:15, status: Successful (0)
May 29 10:06:22 kernel: Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 7726deb9
May 29 10:06:22 kernel: pgd = c0014000

This looks like a bug or hardware fault, any opinions on what is most likely, these are new to me arrived yesterday, bought from ebay, so there's every chance that someone is offloading faulty stuff they cant return. Bought in UK and have US style plugs with adapters, IDK is Asus supply them like that for UK market?

I have done minimal configuration to get them setup, just added DHCP option 61 via nvram for Sky BB UK. changed SSID and not much else. I have had to remove them from my network to keep the family happy for time being. I was using an RT-AC66U before, it started randomly rebooting ~once per day and having tried new power supply, reflashing from merlin to stock, I decided it was time to retire it and replace with XT8 ZenWifi. For now I have installed the router my ISP supplied and that is working fine, but a bit slow wifi. I have a second ancient Netgear WNDR3300 which is wired to the main router working as an AP for my IOT devices and cameras. At this point I have a doubt that something on my network may be causing problems - In addition to what I mentioned above I have a powerline ethernet going to my garage and a couple of cheap unmanaged 1Gbe switches. My BB is about 70Mbit and I dont run VPNs, I have about 45 devices split between the old router and new

My next plan is to add the Zenwifi units back into the network in AP mode and start slowly migrating devices over on wifi instead of my ISP router. I dont think its generally a good idea to remove a router from a network and replace it with another with the same SSID and security, which is what I did, I was seeing a lot of repeated dhcp stuff with certain nodes on the zenwifi. I suppose if it all starts working ok I can either turn off wifi on the SKy router and leave it like that OR remove the sky router and configure DHCP option 61 again and have the Zenwifi making the WAN connection in router mode OR double NAT which is my least favoured option.

Can anyone suggest anything different or should I file and ebay return "item not as described" and get rid of zenwifi and move on?

Flash the latest firmware, reset them, configure minimally, and if not usable, return 'em.

OE

Already have latest firmware, doing minimal config again in double nat so my family can use their media devices on the isp router. It has a few issues at times still, unresponsive, rebooting, deauthing. I found out about an alternate reset method that fully erases, using wps button, zenwifi is not listed, but I try it tomorrow. It may well be on its way back to the seller if its still unreliable.

Now working fine - used proper factory reset method - through admin menu and holding wps while booting

Now working fine - used proper factory reset method - through admin menu and holding wps while booting

Do you mind describing this process? are you factory resetting from the web interface (checking the box?), then when it's booting you are holding down the WPS button on the router?

I held down wps button during power on and for about 30s after. The router wipes and boots in recovery mode, i think theres a limited ui on ethernet for flashing. I just power cycle then they boot with default settings. Then i remember the admin menu factory reset method, so i did that too for completeness. I think that may have the same outcome because no ssid is broadcast. I did wps reset a second time after that. Probably not all this is necessary, i was tired at the time after struggling with issues. The routers have been running great since.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!