What's new

ZTE - ZXHN H108N - Firmware change

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johncoool

New Around Here
I posted this inquiry on the ZTE forum but got no replies yet.

I am having issues changing the firmware on my router.

The contract with the ISP ended and they left the router. So now I can do what ever I want with it and I want to change the firmware. The current firmware on the router is customized by them (the ISP) and I think it is locked.

I have tried 4 TFTP servers to push the new firmware but none of them worked.

I also tried to use WINSCP to push the file to the /tmp folder and access it from telnet but it did not work either.

There are several video on YouTube about this exact chipset router and that is why I suspect that it is locked by the ISP, and that is because it works in the video.

The below link has all the details I could find on this model and I was able to reach into it VIA Telnet, as per the below link. it requires 2 passwords to log into the root via Telnet it which worked for me. So I tried to find a way to write a file to the /tmp folder in it via telnet but could not find one and I tried to create SSH to push it via WINSCP but did not succeed. I am not sure why. Not sure if it is the configuration. I found videos on how to do it and tried it.

Here is the link on the details: https://jalalsela.com/hacking-zxhn-h108n-router/

Is there to find out if the firmware is locked? Is there a way to unlock it? Can I delete the firmware from Telnet and then add a new one?

Please give me all the tips to solve this issue.

There are two chipsets that were used with this model. Realtek and Broadcom. OpenWRT can only be used on the Broadcom model.

I posted this inquiry on the ZTE forum but got no replies yet.

I am having issues changing the firmware on my router.

The contract with the ISP ended and they left the router. So now I can do what ever I want with it and I want to change the firmware. The current firmware on the router is customized by them (the ISP) and I think it is locked.

To be honest - since it's a DSL/Router thingy - I'd probably donate it to the e-Waste recycler - fun to play with as a hacking project maybe...

I finally have some progress but with a snag.
I did come across that page 2 days ago but did not bother with it because I wanted a different firmware.

I did this by mistake now and it did something different than before. The only way it worked is by having the browsers closed and after pressing the reset button and turning it on I typed the default IP into file explorer which then redirected me to a browser and opened the upload page. (This did not work earlier when I did it directly from the browser, I tested it a few more times and it is the only way it worked on two PCs. Win 7 and Win8.1)

After I add the image to upload it comes back with a message that it failed and that the image is illegal.

I got this on both my firmware that I downloaded and the one from the OpenWrt site.

I do see pins on the circuit board which could be for the JTAG cable but I will not be able to do that as I don't have the method to connect to it.

Is there a way to work around this failed attempt.
Thanks

I found an older version of the firmware in order to downgrade it and then see if I can apply the other other I had.

So it did install. However after it rebooted it did not start up again. It is just on the power light and it is red.

Is there a way to get this fixed without JTAG cable?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!