What's new

Zywall 110 vpn to iPhone (IOS 8.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

funhouse69

Occasional Visitor
I know this is a long shot but has anyone been able to get a VPN Connection established from your iPhone to a Zywall Firewall?

I've found a few different documents online showing how to do it, each VERY different from the other but both going for an L2TP Connection and neither of them work, I keep getting the same message from the iPhone saying that the "L2TP-VPN Server did not respond"

I check the logs in the Zywall and it is saying that there is a Phase 1 Mismatch but can't figure out what the heck it could possibly be. At other times I get messages that look like everything is fine but says no proposal chosen.

Its so odd I get different messages each time.

Anyone have this working / can you point me to some kind of guide?

Apple devices look for the following ports for the built-in VPN clients;

500/udp - ISAKMP/IKE
1701/udp - L2TP
1723/tcp - PPTP (which if you're doing L2TP you can safely ignore)
4500/udp - IPsec NAT Traversal

If your end-point has "back to my Mac enabled" you might run into some problems there, even for a NAT'ed Mac on the back end of the firewall, so be sure to disable that function on the back-end device until you can get basic connectivity sorted...

iOS and Mac's support both certs and PassPhrases - if not using certs, just keep in mind that for L2TP, you've got the VPN passphrase, and then the account userid/password.

hth...