What's new

ZyXEL USG40 Next-Gen Unified Security Gateway-Performance Series Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rtfm

Occasional Visitor
Maybe I missed something, but my interest in this unit is for managing a gaggle of ZyXEL AP's. I thought this unit had that function but now I wonder if that's only with the USG40W which has an internal AP.

Hello rtfm,

All our new USGs come with built-in WLAN (AP) controller feature. So the
user can use this AP controller and AP profile settings in USG to manage
Access Points. However only the NWA5120 series or NWA3000 series APs are
manageable with controller. For further help with controller feature you can contact support at support@zyxel.com

The NWA1100 series APs are entry-level, standalone devices and cannot be
managed via the controller.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought that was the case but the silence in the review on same bothered me...had I overlooked something?

Hi Doug, would you recommend this for home use for someone just getting started with UTM-like appliances? I'm basically looking for a bit more protection than a home router provides, but not sure I yet have time to spend my entire day looking through logs to make sure everything is ship-shape, but happy to spend a few hours a day initially getting it set up.

If it helps you any in recommending - we have about a half-dozen full computers, a couple of tablets, a few phones, a gaggle of IP cameras and a handful of IoT things (Nest, Smartthings, etc.) Any advice appreciated.

USG40

Every UTM I've tested takes more effort to configure than a typical firewall/router, simply due to all the options.

You can configure the USG40 to filter traffic automatically, create log messages, and/or send notifications. It's up to you.

I haven't used the USG40 extensively other than for the review, but Zyxel routers/UTMs have been quite stable in my testing. Further, once you get a hang of their menu structure, they're aren't that difficult to configure.

The USG40 UTM is intended for home and small business use. It can handle your network.

I hope this helps!

Thanks, very much appreciated. I guess what I was asking in a roundabout way was, would you buy this for your own use? Or is there something in a comparable price range you might suggest instead?

I was also looking at the RV320, but a buddy of mine has it and says it has some significant issues that render it unusable without constant nagging.

I've recently tested two devices, both of which are solid.

If you're looking for a UTM device with a full range of security features, the USG40 is a good small network solution.

If you're looking for a firewall/router with VPN capability, Linksys' LRT214/LRT224 is a good small network solution.

I think a UTM is more what I'm looking for - otherwise my Merlin-powered Asus 68U is fine as a basic firewall and router.

That said, what I'm looking for most of all is an OEM that gave a crap when it developed its software, spent time hardening it, responds quickly and actively when a breach or bug is found and supports its products for more than three months. I have a bad taste left in my mouth from Linksys taking somewhere in the vicinity of eight months to fix the Moon vulnerability in my E4200v1, well after my unit was compromised. I only discovered the hack when I started experiencing unexpected slowdowns and lockups of the router and went to search for an underlying cause.

So given that, is the Zyxel still a product you'd recommend or is there another brand or product you'd recommend?

Worth Considering older USG20W?

I need to replace a SOHO client's RV042 V2 due to its SSL Poodle vulnerability. (Its no longer supported by Cisco)

I'm considering the older ~$170 ZyWALL USG20W vs a $340 NextGen USG40W. (Both are a bit of an overkill)

Has ZyXEL been good about releasing updated firmware for its older hardware?
I'm concerned about the support/update longevity of the older USG20W. I hate charging my client for replacing his router every few years.

Security is the priority. The router basically needs to isolate the office segment from WiFi/home network while allowing both access to the printer segment. I need VPN for remote access / maintenance . IDP might be nice but not required.

Is it worth paying 2X for a router that is 3-years newer? (NextGen USG40W) Are there any DD-WRT options worth considering?

I wasn't getting very much advice here myself, so I went to talk to some enterprise networking geeks over on Reddit and have narrowed down my choices to a couple of devices. I guess the biggest thing I learned from them is that you need to pay really close attention to the numbers for the USG20 and USG40 throughput. Do you know what kind of connection and load your client has? That'll make a huge difference in terms of what is the better option. Though they appear close in performance on paper, the penalty for every additional service is apparently high enough that it makes sense to opt for the USG40. Then again, if Zyxel has the same refresh cycle for this generation as the previous, your router will still be the current gen model until the end of the decade...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!