What's new

Zyxel Zywall USG40 vs Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X or lite vs. pfsense SG-2220

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nikleb

Regular Contributor
I am looking for a new wired/dedicated router/firewall.
After doing some research I am torn between:
  • Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X or lite
  • pfsense SG-2220
  • Zyxel Zywall USG40

The Ubiquiti seems to be a general favorite. However, I am not sure whether some of the UI limitations are going to be an issue. I also realize that the USG40 is almost a different category. I will likely not use the virus AV package subscription. A secure solution that updates itself would be ideal.
I am going to use in a home network. Currently connected on 25Mbs, but might go to 75Mbs soon. However, I am looking for an above average quality product that I can configure.

I have an Edgerouter Lite that I used to use for my home. I worked okay but it was tough to configure. I then tried the Zyxel USG40 and really like it. In fact I would get it even if I did not use any of the subscription services. The firewall can do almost anything the Edgerouter can but it is much easier to program. I can do everything through the GUI and the menus "flow" better for me.
My vote would be the Zyxel

Should I be concerned about performance? For example would the USG40 be able to handle a 75Mbps connection? The next model up USG60 is significant higher pricing.

I have a 75mb down, 10mb up connection (in reality it is an 89mb down, 12up) and I can max the connection. SmallNetwork Builder did a review of the USG40 and found it could do 225Mb/s total throuput with all the bells and whistles turned on. It could do 280Mb/s if you turn off ADP. Now VPN numbers are lower (as they are on all firewalls). On my system I use routing/firewall, NAT, HTTP Redirect, DNS server, DHCP server, 3 VLANs, IDP, Antivirus, Content Filter, DDNS, VPN, ADP,and BWM (bandwidth management) to stop bufferbloat. Anyway here is the review:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...eway-performance-series-reviewed?limitstart=0

Last edited:
You may want to consider the Pepwave Surf Soho which retails for roughly $180. UI is simple. According to vendor it can handle speeds up to 100Mbps. Business class device for price of consumer. And, being able to use WiFi or 4g/LTE as backup WAN access can be a lifesaver when your ISP suffers an outage. Also offers 2 copies of firmware. Here is a discussion of its pros/cons
www.routersecurity.org/pepwavesurfsofo.php

mikrotik is a contender too.
The way i see it is both ubiquiti and mikrotik are configurable but mikrotik offers more as a router but neither of them offer anti malware or UTM features.
Zyxel is less configurable and they have UTMs,
pfsense has snort and other things and maybe even an anti malware, you can also run ad blockers too but it isnt a complete UTM package. It is configurable too.

It really depends on what you want from a router. In terms of other features they sorely lack in areas like NAS or print server.

This is my understanding of the difference:
The HE includes 1 year of content filtering and App Control but does NOT include the anti spam and antivirus licenses. Those are optional even for the 1st year.
It also appears the 40HE does not act as a WLAN controller for Zyxel APs nor does it support HA.
There might be more that I am not aware of.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!