What's new

1.1.1.1 getting blocked by avahi?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nahventure

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys. I'm having issues accessing 1.1.1.1 from behind my asuswrt-merlin router. I'm running an AC87u with the latest version: "RT-AC87U_384.13_1". From the log I can see this and I am guessing it is what is causing my issues.

Here's the part of the log where avahi is mentioned and so is 1.1.1.1.

https://pastebin.com/4eKRY64Y

I can ping 1.1.1.1 from WAN directly to my desktop, but once the asus is added in, I cannot. I also tried clearing jffs scripts and all that good stuff but nothing helped.

cross post from reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Asus_Merlin/comments/cqythr/1111_getting_blocked_by_avahi/

You appear to have created a local interface with the IP address of 1.1.1.1. What changes have you made since factory resetting the router?

Check your VPN configuration and make sure you haven't put 1.1.1.1 in there by mistake.

I can ping 1.1.1.1 from WAN directly to my desktop
Sorry, I don't understand what this means. Can you phrase it differently.

You appear to have created a local interface with the IP address of 1.1.1.1. What changes have you made since factory resetting the router?

Check your VPN configuration and make sure you haven't put 1.1.1.1 in there by mistake.

Sorry, I don't understand what this means. Can you phrase it differently.
I'll check my VPN settings. And by wan I mean, plug my internet link directly into my computer rather than going through my router :)

Hi guys. I'm having issues accessing 1.1.1.1 from behind my asuswrt-merlin router. I'm running an AC87u with the latest version: "RT-AC87U_384.13_1". From the log I can see this and I am guessing it is what is causing my issues.

Here's the part of the log where avahi is mentioned and so is 1.1.1.1.

https://pastebin.com/4eKRY64Y

I can ping 1.1.1.1 from WAN directly to my desktop, but once the asus is added in, I cannot. I also tried clearing jffs scripts and all that good stuff but nothing helped.

cross post from reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Asus_Merlin/comments/cqythr/1111_getting_blocked_by_avahi/
Looks like you assigned cloudflare's IP for your pixelserve-tls instead of a LAN IP. Do you have diversion with pixelserv installed?

Looks like you assigned cloudflare's IP for your pixelserve-tls instead of a LAN IP. Do you have diversion with pixelserv installed?
That line indeed indicates OP did exactly that.
Code:
May  5 02:05:29 avahi-daemon[279]: Registering new address record for 1.1.1.1 on br0.IPv4.

Someone at Asus thought it would be a good idea to assign 1.1.1.1 to an internal interface on the RT-AC87U...

Someone at Asus thought it would be a good idea to assign 1.1.1.1 to an internal interface on the RT-AC87U...
All of us owning an 87U know it's a special kind of router. Now not only the hardware but also the software has it's own quirks.
Good one!

I have no problem pinging 1.1.1.1 from my LAN behind my AC87U running 384.13_1 (btw ifconfig isn't showing any interface addressed with 1.1.1.1, the internal interfaces are using the 169.254.0.0/16 link local addresses).

Maybe there's something else on the OP's router config that is causing the problem. Have you reconfigured the router from scratch after you reset it to factory and cleared the JFFS partition? eg. without reusing any configuration or JFFS backup? Search the forum for the best practices for a factory reset and reconfiguration.

The AC87U has the separate Qantenna chipset that makes it stand out from the rest but it's still a rock solid router, it's the most stable router I've ever owned AND the one that does the most things, thanks to you guys and to the other developers on the forum.

I'm saying that because I wouldn't want RMerlin to start thinking "this AC87U is more trouble than it's worth, I'd better drop support for it sooner rather than later" ;)

I have no problem pinging 1.1.1.1 from my LAN behind my AC87U running 384.13_1 (btw ifconfig isn't showing any interface addressed with 1.1.1.1, the internal interfaces are using the 169.254.0.0/16 link local addresses).

That special 1.1.1.1 interface only comes up temporarily during boot time.

That special 1.1.1.1 interface only comes up temporarily during boot time.

Is that a quirk of the Quantenna BSP when it boots up - as we know, the 5GHz side of the 87U is basically a standalone Quantenna AP inside the Broadcom AsusWRT platform.

Is that a quirk of the Quantenna BSP when it boots up - as we know, the 5GHz side of the 87U is basically a standalone Quantenna AP inside the Broadcom AsusWRT platform.

Not a quirk, just a poorly thought design decision.

Maybe there's something else on the OP's router config that is causing the problem. Have you reconfigured the router from scratch after you reset it to factory and cleared the JFFS partition? eg. without reusing any configuration or JFFS backup? Search the forum for the best practices for a factory reset and reconfiguration.

The AC87U has the separate Qantenna chipset that makes it stand out from the rest but it's still a rock solid router, it's the most stable router I've ever owned AND the one that does the most things, thanks to you guys and to the other developers on the forum.

I'm saying that because I wouldn't want RMerlin to start thinking "this AC87U is more trouble than it's worth, I'd better drop support for it sooner rather than later" ;)
I've tried wiping it entirely, deleting all scripts. Nothing.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!