What's new

1 access point is showing wrong subnet/ip while other 5 are fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
hey guys, so i have 6 asus accesspoints, 5 of them are ac68u and 1 is a ac87u, and whenever i use the device discovery tool, the ac87u seems to show a ip address out of my subnet. i want all of the access points to be on 10.100.1.1 but this one asus is always showing 192.... i reset it fully, updated to the newest merlin, reset again, and its still doing this. any clue why or how to fix? earlier it was showing the ip as 1.1.1.1

attached is the pic

Attachments

• rsz_img-4147.jpg
    rsz_img-4147.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 284
  • rsz_img-4145.jpg
    rsz_img-4145.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 214
Assuming all the APs are hardwired with Ethernet cables back to you primary router just be sure the DHCP server is turned off on the problem AP and on your primary network router, which all the APs are attached to, assign static IPs to all your APs in the subnet that you want them to be in and on every AP check the option to have them automatically get their LAN IP. If the APs happen to be daisy chained follow the same procedure.

They're bogus addresses created by the 87U during boot up that are confusing the discovery utility. See here and here. Just ignore it. You should still be able to access the AP through its real address.

They're bogus addresses created by the 87U during boot up that are confusing the discovery utility. See here and here. Just ignore it. You should still be able to access the AP through its real address.

thanks! yeah i noticed sometimes it gets the proper 10.0.1.x address but usually its showing the 192.168.1.x one, is there any way to fix this? kinda annoying and i just wanna make sure its working correctly for wifi users and dont want this to be a underlying problem

As far as I'm aware it's just a cosmetic issue with the utility. Provided the clients can connect to its SSIDs and reach the rest of the network everything should be fine.

Assuming all the APs are hardwired with Ethernet cables back to you primary router just be sure the DHCP server is turned off on the problem AP and on your primary network router, which all the APs are attached to, assign static IPs to all your APs in the subnet that you want them to be in and on every AP check the option to have them automatically get their LAN IP.

Something above doesn't make sense to me. Should be this way:

- APs with DHCP disabled (AP mode doesn't have DHCP option anyway)
- APs with static IPs outside of DHCP range (on the APs, reachable always at the same IP)
- DHCP enabled on the Router (APs register with their IPs and relay DHCP to clients, otherwise no one can connect)

It's better to assign static IPs on APs, not on the Router. In case Router has to be replaced, APs keep the assigned IPs.

The OP doesn't say that he is using the AP mode. It is just as straight forward to repurpose a router as an AP by simply turning off the DHCP option. The only possible advantage of using of using the AP mode is it converts the WAN port to a LAN port.

As for setting the APs LAN IP on the router vs on the AP is that when you set the IP on a device that device will not reliably, in least in my experience show up on a list of connected devices. I have a Linksys 54G router repurposed as a switch that never shows up on the router's connected device list, and two TP-Link smart switches one which shows most of the time and the other once in awhile. All three of these devices were assigned static IPs in their firmware.

The risk of having an invisible device on your network is you might try and reassign its IP to another device. The OP will need to decide is it more convenient to assign the IP on the device vs. the risk of double assigning a LAN IP and the convenience of having a complete list of connected devices.

The only possible advantage of using of using the AP mode is it converts the WAN port to a LAN port.

NTP may not work on LAN port. I'm pretty sure OP is using the routers the right way with Access Point mode. Setting static IPs on every AP with some planning makes things easy to support and troubleshoot, you don't need to look on the list of connected devices at all. There are 6 devices in the example above, no big deal. For example:

- 192.168.0.11 (Router, 1st floor East), 192.168.0.12 (AP, 1st floor West)
- 192.168.0.21 (AP, 2nd floor East), 192.168.0.22 (AP, 2nd floor West)
- 192.168.0.31 (AP, 3rd floor East), 192.168.0.32 (AP, 3rd floor West)

Client DHCP range on the Router 192.168.0.50-192.168.0.200, short lease time of 2h.
The OP knows the place well. Just knowing where the APs are physically located gives him the IP of the corresponding AP.

I don't understand your advice to turn off DHCP on the main router. Must be a DHCP server running on this network.

I don't understand your advice to turn off DHCP on the main router.
I think this is where the misunderstanding comes from. I (mis)read it the same way the first and second times.
... just be sure the DHCP server is turned off on the problem AP and on your primary network router, ...
Re-reading the whole sentence it then becomes clear you didn't actually mean that.

Whether the access points get their IP's from DHCP or are statically set is a matter of personal preference. But either way that is unrelated to the OP's issue with is to do with the Asus Discovery tool.

Last edited:
I can see what I wrote could confuse someone.

My point was to be sure DHCP was disabled on all APs. Not something that has to be done manually if you choose the built in AP mode. After doing that use the LAN's router to assign static IPs to all the network's APs using the router's GUI.

There are pros and cons to assigning the IPs from the router vs assigning a static IP on the device itself. My preference is to assign as many static IPs as possible using the router as I find it makes keeping track of devices easier. I have over seventy devices that use my network at one time or another and most of them have static IPs on one of the three subnets I use. Another possible reason to assign IPs using the router is if you are using policy routing it makes it easier to route a device through the VPN tunnel. If you run multiple VPNs even more so particularly if you regularly switch devices between VPN servers to bypass geographic blocks.

In any case as Colin pointed out the OP's problem may not have been related to either of these issues.

In any case as Colin pointed out the OP's problem may not have been related to either of these issues.

Agreed. Seems like the app has some issues. The last posts are more like suggestions.

The little misunderstanding probably comes from English English @ColinTaylor uses, American English of @CaptainSTX and my English as a 2nd (4th and 1/2, actually) language. Still, I strongly believe DHCP on the main router has to be Enabled... :D

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!