What's new

1 isp, 2 routers, 2 WiFi - but

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

db9

Occasional Visitor
Looking for input..

I have 2 routers – first is wrt54gl (tomato) – second is ASUS wl520GU (OEM firmware) with print USB.

I would like to have a home network setup as follows, one ISP feed – 2 separate WiFi’s the ability to share files with all connected PC’s – I want to have the ability to turn off the WiFi via rules on either router (tomato can do this & so can the Asus OEM firmware)

I currently set the wrt54gl as primary & the wl520gu as secondary
From the primary I have WiFi to a laptop, Xbox and Ethernet to a PC. I then have a LAN port connection to the WAN port on the secondary. The secondary is physically at the other end of the house where I have a Linux server, 2 pc’s, printer, scanner and a second WiFi (different SSID from primary) to a laptop & guest laptops. Currently I have the wl520gu set as access point which allows the primary to DHCP all connected items – allowing file & print sharing.

BUT while the secondary has its own SSID, I have no control over turning it on & off – this feature disappears when you put the router into access point mode.

Is there someway that I can configure 2 routers to allow 2 separate WiFi’s – print & file share between all connected items and still have control of both WiFi’s

I can flash the wl520gu to tomato if that will help.

Thanks