What's new

100% CPU Usage when downloading? N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dunksterp

New Around Here
Hey guys,

I stumbled upon this forum because I've been googling the crap out of my issue but to no avail.

I have an N66U router that's been configured and operating fine for several years. Today, when I started a Steam download (on ethernet), as I have done 100s of times before, my wifi crapped out. After troubleshooting and diagnosing, I found my router was hitting 100% CPU usage. This has never happened before.

It appears to be happening on all downloads, from all sources, on wifi & ethernet. Steam, speedtest.net etc etc

I tried SSH onto the router to see what was using most CPU and it appears to be:

httpd -i br0 -these two mostly
ksoftirqd/0 -these two mostly
protect_srv

Can anyone shed any light into my this could have just started happening?

I have virgin media that's about 250Mb Down and 30 up, been this way for 3+ years.

Has my router basically eaten it and is on it's way out?

This is normal behaviour if your router doesn't have hardware acceleration enabled.

Go to Tools > System Information > Network and check the status of HW acceleration.

OK, in my testing I ended up doing a full factory reset. I was putting it off due to lots of stuff in port forwarding. Since then, my internet speed has shot up to 350Mb when doing a speed test, and it seems to only use 50% CPU. This is all really strange.

I was pretty certain HW acceleration was enabled.

Either way, I guess I might get a little longer out of this thing fingers crossed.