What's new

1000 Mbps speed on each port on a router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thevlcuser

New Around Here
Hello!

I have a simple question I think.

If we have a router with those specifications:
LAN-speed: 1000 Mbps
4 ethernet ports

Now I wonder:
1. Does each ethernet port support 1000 Mbps?
2. If question 1 is true. It would be better of to use all 4 ports if I have for example 24 IP cameras connected from switches instead of connecting all of those cameras to for example port 1 Only?

1. Yes
2. depends on BW on the 24 IP cams and switches downstream

I have a simple question I think.
  • If we have a router with those specifications:
    • LAN-speed: 1000 Mbps
    • 4 ethernet ports
Now I wonder:
  • Does each ethernet port support 1000 Mbps?
  • If question 1 is true. It would be better of to use all 4 ports if I have for example 24 IP cameras connected from switches instead of connecting all of those cameras to for example port 1 Only?
I do believe you were touching on this just the other day?
  • Does the aggregate bandwidth from the 24 cameras even come close to 1,000 Mbps?
  • And, even if it doesn't, it still might be worthwhile to attach each switch to its own router port. That way if a switch goes out you only lose 6 cameras instead of all 24.

That way if a switch goes out you only lose 6 cameras instead of all 24
Depends on which switch goes out :) :)

Ultimately, it depends a lot on how and where the wiring to/from the cameras is configured. Personally, I'd go with fewer (i.e. 1) and larger capacity (24 or 32 port) switches if the wiring allows. But switches in cascade or star pattern isn't likely to have much impact on the end result, unless as pointed out already, the saturation of the network segments reach critical levels.

Depends on which switch goes out
Absolutely!
Personally, I'd go with fewer (i.e. 1) and larger capacity (24 or 32 port) switches if the wiring allows
I don't disagree.
  • Short of that then "home run" the switches.
  • Short of that then do whatcha gotta do.
Short of running "4K" (25 Mbps x 24 cameras = 600 Mbps) I doubt 24 cameras are gonna overwhelm gigabit : -)