What's new

192.168.1.1 skips my router and connects to building main router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DavidHK

Occasional Visitor
I live in a 4 story building with 12 apartments (in Vietnam if it makes any difference).

The main internet comes into the front reception and then is ported out to each apartment. Each apartment has its own WiFi unit (basic TP-Link units).

I replaced the existing router (old TP-Link) with my Asus RT-AX56U.

When setting it up and connecting directly to my laptop, I can log-into the router via 192.168.1.1. Once connected back to the internet it works fine.

But if I then try to log-in to my router with 192.168.1.1 when connected to the internet, I go to the front reception router log-in page. See attached image...

1) Can/should I change my router settings to avoid this?
2) Is this s symptom of poor technical network installation on their part?
* Note their RJ45 LAN cable has only 4 wires, not 8... but I still get 50+MB on it. However there is occasionally a lot of lag... which has me thinking...

Thanks for any assistance on understanding this and what I could do...

Attachments

• VFNPT.png
    VFNPT.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 207
It looks like the apartment network is using the 192.168.1.1 (/24?) subnet. So during the setup process your Asus it will detect this conflict (both networks can't have the same address range) and change the LAN subnet address.

If I recall correctly it will change it to 192.168.2.1. If that's not the correct address then you can download the Asus Device Discovery utility to find its new IP address.

Reagardless of what the IP address is you should be able to get to the router with http://router.asus.com/

Just be aware that you are in a double NAT setup which is fine and won't impact your performance but if you try to set up a server of any type on your LAN it won't be possible unless you have admin privileges on the building's router and can forward ports.

Just be aware that you are in a double NAT setup which is fine and won't impact your performance but if you try to set up a server of any type on your LAN it won't be possible unless you have admin privileges on the building's router and can forward ports.
Or, the easiest way, DMZ the router in the 1st router.

Or, the easiest way, DMZ the router in the 1st router.

Again will only be possible if you have administrative rights on the first router and in a half a** setup like this probably not going to happen and even if you did with multiple users on the network who knows what would happen.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!