What's new

1st NAS - Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dryland51

New Around Here
I've built computers for years. Running a wireless network now with about 5 PC's accessing. Would like to put together a NAS/Home Server to allow us to store pictures, music, etc. It will be hard connected to the router.

Do I take an older PC setup and try to make that into a NAS/Server or do I buy something off the shelf or try to find parts for a NAS/Server and build one myself?

Do I run Linux or WHS or ?

Would really appreciate input/suggestions on good options. I would expect to do raid and hotswap is appealing but probably not critical.

Thanks for the advice.

If you like to tinker, go for building your own. Take a look at the Fast NAS series and the Atom-powered NAS articles in the NAS How To section. Note that none of the NAS distros like OpenFiler, FreeNAS, etc. have the ease-of-use that off-the-shelf NASes have.

If you build your own, consider not using a PC to minimize power, heat and noise.

Home NAS followup

I just read the Atom series as well as a couple of the others. The following questions arise:

1) Are there any cases sold (with PS?) that allow one to build their own NAS rather than buying a regular PC case?

2) While I really enjoy building and playing am I better off just buying a pre-built system and if so which might be the best choices?

Needs:

A) Should one use RAID or not and if so 1;5;6;10? I would prefer to have atleast some redundancy (backup)

B) Will use for pics; music and backing up key files from various PC's

C) Windows server? Linux? Or?

I enjoy the learning stage as much as the building/buying. I'll keep looking at the articles and reviews but discussion, comments and thoughts are valuable.

Dick

Synology 207?

Reading some of the discussions is the Synology 207 reasonable for a first NAS? I see it for about $300 at Newegg + 1TB drives for $114 each.

I also looked at the Netgear units and the Thecus....always a question of the best balance between price; stability; usability and value.:confused: