What's new

2.4ghz devices can't talk to each other, AP isolation appears stuck on, how to disable via SSH?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

clouser

Occasional Visitor
Asus RT-AC3100, tested on 380.66_6 and 380.68_0
AP isolation = "No" for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios

I have wired, wireless 2.4ghz, and wireless 5ghz devices on my network

2.4ghz to 2.4ghz device communication fails (destination unreachable), all other combinations work (wired to 2.4, 5 to 2.4, 2.4 to 5 and wired, etc)

AP isolation is set to off in the GUI, but this really feels like AP isolation is enabled on the 2.4ghz band.

I managed to get into the CLI via SSH but I have no idea where to find the config files to see where this is actually set. Any ideas?

Try:

nvram set wl0_ap_isolate=0
nvram commit
service restart_wireless

Thanks I was able to execute the commands, but it did not have any effect, even after reboot. I'm not sure what else could be prohibiting traffic between two devices on the 2.4ghz network, yet allowing connections between any other combination of devices. I am at my wit's end with this :(

Are there any guest networks or other access points that you might be accidentally connecting to?

Can you post a screen shot of System Log > Wireless Log whilst the devices in question are connected. Maybe we can spot something.

Also, can you post the output of these two commands:

wl -i eth1 ap_isolate
wl -i eth2 ap_isolate

Are there any guest networks or other access points that you might be accidentally connecting to?

Can you post a screen shot of System Log > Wireless Log whilst the devices in question are connected. Maybe we can spot something.

I have never enabled any guest networks.
Also, can you post the output of these two commands:

wl -i eth1 ap_isolate
wl -i eth2 ap_isolate

I have never enabled any guest networks so I don't think that is in play. Screen shot attached.

<redacted>@RT-AC3100-F140:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 ap_isolate
<redacted>@RT-AC3100-F140:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 ap_isolate

Edit: the site killed the resolution of the screen shot, here is an imgur link with more fidelity

http://imgur.com/a/12izH

Attachments

• wireless.png
    wireless.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 1,552
<redacted>@RT-AC3100-F140:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 ap_isolate
<redacted>@RT-AC3100-F140:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth2 ap_isolate
I don't have the same router as you so that might be the reason, but that doesn't look correct. On my router that would mean AP isolation is set on for both bands.

Try this:

wl -i eth1 ap_isolate 0
wl -i eth2 ap_isolate 0

I don't have the same router as you so that might be the reason, but that doesn't look correct. On my router that would mean AP isolation is set on for both bands.

Try this:

wl -i eth1 ap_isolate 0
wl -i eth2 ap_isolate 0

Yes this really seems odd, now I can no longer ping 5ghz devices from other 5ghz devices, which WAS working.

running the command doesn't seem to change the state, does it need to be committed in some way to take effect?

/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 ap_isolate 0
/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth1 ap_isolate

No it should take effect immediately (assuming the commands are still valid for the AC3100). :confused::confused::confused:

What's the output of the following command (they should all be 0)?

nvram show | grep ap_isolate | sort

Well I'm at a loss. Can you just confirm the wireless interface names are what I think they are:

# nvram get wl_ifnames
eth1 eth2

Well I'm at a loss. Can you just confirm the wireless interface names are what I think they are:

# nvram get wl_ifnames
eth1 eth2

they are indeed...

/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl_ifnames
eth1 eth2

Starting to sound like factory reset time? :(

Starting to sound like factory reset time? :(
Yes that was going to be my next suggestion.

First I'd suggest you try a complete power off, unplug the router, turn it back on whilst unplugged to drain any residual power, and then plug it back in. See if the problem is still there.

If it is then I suggest that you take a backup of your current settings (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) so you can quickly restore to this point if you need/want to.

It's also useful to take another backup using John's NVRAM utility so you can reload your config on different firmware versions.

Do your factory reset with the current firmware, followed by a bare minimum config just so you can test the isolation.

If is still doesn't work try using the stock firmware.

:(:(:(

F
Yes that was going to be my next suggestion.

First I'd suggest you try a complete power off, unplug the router, turn it back on whilst unplugged to drain any residual power, and then plug it back in. See if the problem is still there.

If it is then I suggest that you take a backup of your current settings (Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting) so you can quickly restore to this point if you need/want to.

It's also useful to take another backup using John's NVRAM utility so you can reload your config on different firmware versions.

Do your factory reset with the current firmware, followed by a bare minimum config just so you can test the isolation.

If is still doesn't work try using the stock firmware.

:(:(:(

Factory reset on same firmware fixed it... wow so much time lost to such a fast fix but I WANTED to know what broke!!! Guess I'll never know... Thanks for all your help

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!