What's new

2.4ghz low speed concern

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jay2020

Occasional Visitor
I currently had R7000 custom firmware and now i have the R7800 voxel 1.0.2.97, I never had any issues with slow speeds on 5Ghz 10-30feet with either of them. BUT both have low speed on 2.4ghz, both get around 101mbps @ 8ft. idk what is the issue here, anyone can chime in with some tips i can try out?

The most un-congested channel is 11 which I use and it's set to 40hz wide channel only on both and its, encryption set to AES, set to N only.

To be honest that speed doesn't seem too far off the mark for many single stream 2.4GHz 40MHz bandwidth "N" clients.

To be honest that speed doesn't seem too far off the mark for many single stream 2.4GHz 40MHz bandwidth "N" clients.
When i looked up reviews for both r7000 and r7800 I see that there 2.4hz speeds during their testing were in the low to mid 200mbps. How can i achieve that kind of speed in a single stream to clients?

First thing to look at is upgrading the WiFi card in the PC. You should be able to pick up an ax210 for about $20.

When i looked up reviews for both r7000 and r7800 I see that there 2.4hz speeds during their testing were in the low to mid 200mbps. How can i achieve that kind of speed in a single stream to clients?
You can't. The R7800 is spec'd at up to 800Mbps on 2.4GHz. But that's only when using 40MHz and 4 streams and a non-standard 256-QAM.

When using a single stream at 40MHz using the 'n' standard the maximum link rate is 150Mbps (or 135MBps using a long GI).

You can't. The R7800 is spec'd at up to 800Mbps on 2.4GHz. But that's only when using 40MHz and 4 streams and a non-standard 256-QAM.

When using a single stream at 40MHz using the 'n' standard the maximum link rate is 150Mbps (or 135MBps using a long GI).
I also have the RT-AC3100 with Merlin, and I have set modulation scheme to MCS 11 nitroQAM 1024QAM and I get around the same speed 98-105mbps.

So for comparison here's a subset of the devices I have on 2.4GHz with just 20MHz bandwidth.
24speeds.png

So that includes N, AC, and AX clients. I see nothing wrong with those speeds.
*The tablet is capable of 2 streams and 5GHz, but scales back when not in use.

1670108899603.png

Top - laptop / 2nd - phone.... rest are just little devices scattered about. The other devices are showing lower speeds when idle but, say #3 kicks into gear it bumps to full 866mbps.

1670109622643.png

My bad I thought we were looking at 2.4GHz connections specifically.

My bad I thought we were looking at 2.4GHz connections specifically.
Well, the first SS shows it on 2.4 and the 2nd shows the same device swapping over to 5.

Ultimately having both radios configured for the same SSID should allow for the device to pick the best option or force it to one band or the other by using different SSID's.

The odd thing for me though is I upgraded my WIFI card to an AX411 which bonds both 2.4 & 5 together providing a boost to 1.5gbps of throughput but, it doesn't show up on the 2.4 client list.

1670115945588.png

I still haven't figured out why it sometimes shows both connected and sometimes not but, I think it has something to do with a load being placed on the connection or not since it definitely does boost the throughput when I initially tested it. Either way it's a decent card for under $20 if you have ADL / RPL that support CNVI2.

The most un-congested channel is 11 which I use and it's set to 40hz wide channel only on both and its, encryption set to AES, set to N only.

Why you people don't read and just go on and on with completely unrelated examples and suggestions? :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention all my measurements were done on my LG G8x. Now I went back and tested a wifi dongle i had bought like 3-4 months ago with the correct drivers, And I hit between 130-192mbps @ 8ft on 2.4ghz using rt-ac3100. But that only lasted a few times now its back to 96-100mbps. Heres the link to wifi usb

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GM5FJ96/?tag=snbforums-20

But that only lasted a few times now its back to 96-100mbps.

Because the router switched back to 20MHz wide channel due to interference. If you force 40MHz wide channel in dense Wi-Fi environment you make things only worse. This is what you can get from 2.4GHz and N only. This is why we have dual/tri/quad-band routers with one or more 5/6GHz radios.

Because the router switched back to 20MHz wide channel due to interference. If you force 40MHz wide channel in dense Wi-Fi environment you make things only worse. This is what you can get from 2.4GHz and N only. This is why we have dual/tri/quad-band routers with one or more 5/6GHz radios.
I see, i think im starting to get a better understanding how this all works concerning the 2.4ghz freak, and 20/40 bandwidth

As stated in the description of that device: "up to... 150Mbps on 2.4GHz band."
theres 2 different versions, and I just tried the 2nd one, both are supposed to be the same chip and same drivers. Both work, but only one is consistant with 110-152mbps connecting and switching between 270-400mbps tx/rx rate.