What's new

2.4ghz woes with RT-AC86U / Amazon used vs new

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElShaddai Edwards

Occasional Visitor
I recently purchased an AC86U from Amazon Warehouse, trying to save a few dollars in getting a "very good" unit that hopefully just didn't fit the original purchaser's needs. Unfortunately, the 2.4ghz radio seems to be dead out of the box. The LED light never lit up and the MAC address is empty for the 2.4 radio. I reset the unit a few times soft and hard, enabled/disabled the radio via the config settings and ultimately decided that I didn't want this unit to be my primary router because I didn't trust the quality even if I had gotten the radio to work (which I didn't). It was a 2018 v1.5 unit, which I've now read had a number of 2.4ghz radio issues reported. It's going back to Amazon today.

Amazon just got new units back in stock. Has anyone purchased a new one from Amazon recently? What manufactured year did you get? Are there 2020 models out there or did they stop in 2019 and are just selling old stock?

I purchased a new RT-AC86U from Amazon on July 30, 2020. It is a Taiwan model made in 2020. It has been flawless so far. My other one I also bought new from Amazon in January 2020. It is a China 2019 model. It too runs great.

I purchased a new RT-AC86U from Amazon on July 30, 2020. It is a Taiwan model made in 2020. It has been flawless so far. My other one I also bought new from Amazon in January 2020. It is a China 2019 model. It too runs great.
That's great to know -- thank you!

I recently purchased an AC86U from Amazon Warehouse, trying to save a few dollars in getting a "very good" unit that hopefully just didn't fit the original purchaser's needs. Unfortunately, the 2.4ghz radio seems to be dead out of the box. The LED light never lit up and the MAC address is empty for the 2.4 radio. I reset the unit a few times soft and hard, enabled/disabled the radio via the config settings and ultimately decided that I didn't want this unit to be my primary router because I didn't trust the quality even if I had gotten the radio to work (which I didn't). It was a 2018 v1.5 unit, which I've now read had a number of 2.4ghz radio issues reported. It's going back to Amazon today.

Amazon just got new units back in stock. Has anyone purchased a new one from Amazon recently? What manufactured year did you get? Are there 2020 models out there or did they stop in 2019 and are just selling old stock?

My two 2018 China AC86Us died with a half-lit LAN LED4. Asus replaced one with a 2020 Vietnam build. I replaced the other with same from B&H Photo (US).

I've seen one report here of a 2020 Vietnam build dying.

Routers have been in short supply since the pandemic hit the supply chain and boosted home demand... stock is down and prices are up... so the only old stock is what you bought... used/broken.

OE

My two 2018 China AC86Us died with a half-lit LAN LED4. Asus replaced one with a 2020 Vietnam build. I replaced the other with same from B&H Photo (US).

I've seen one report here of a 2020 Vietnam build dying.

Routers have been in short supply since the pandemic hit the supply chain and boosted home demand... stock is down and prices are up... so the only old stock is what you bought... used/broken.

OE
Definitely am seeing the higher prices... guess I'll either have bite the bullet and pay the extra or stay put with what I have until AX/Wifi 6 routers are more affordable.

I got 2020 version from amazon. 2.4 ghz is now dying after a little over 3 weeks. all of a sudden everything on the 2ghz drops. I have to reboot the router to fix it. i'm returning it. had problems since day 1 but this is the last straw. no way i'm keeping it now with all the reports I read online about the 2.4ghz totally dying. wow...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!