What's new

2.5gb aimesh Ethernet backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have three RT-AX86U's and have a QNAP 2.5Gbps switch. The RT-AX86U in router mode is connected to the switch via 2.5G port, and the other two are connected to the switch from their 2.5G port. I have a 2.5G PC also connected to the switch.

Unfortunately I could only ever get AIMesh working when one of the nodes used 2.5G, and the other 1G. I could not get it reliably working with both using 2.5G. And the 2.4Ghz wireless bandwidth was terrible (around 4Mbps) - oddly 5Ghz WiFi was fine.

I've now got both nodes connected using the 2.5G port, but in access point mode rather than using AIMesh, and this is massively more reliable, with proper 2.4Ghz bandwidth. I've also been able to use different wireless channels for each node to reduce interference.

Only downside is I can't extend the guest WiFi to the nodes, which is a shame (I can, but I can't isolate them to Internet only with no access to the LAN).

@HTBruceM, you are overthinking this. :)

I have 2x RT-AX86U's and a smaller area to cover, but with 1GbE service (I can pay for higher, but any 'one' device will only get a max of 1GbE, so I don't), I wanted to see if I could get that 1GbE anywhere within the home to the capable client devices (AX210 adaptor cards installed within).

And with AiMesh v2.0 and those 2.5GbE ports, I do. No other configuration works as well or with lower latency (it's like I'm connected to the main router, always).

The bonus for me is that merely with even Cat5e (100') cable, it still gives a stable 2.5GbE link between the two routers. :)

If your ISP can physically give you greater than 1GbE speeds to a single client device, then these current routers are not for those applications.

Otherwise, they are a huge step up for overall network performance. When wired (2.5GbE) backhaul is an option.

@BMW which 2.5 Gbps switch are you using for this?
I have actually had three different switches in that spot. First was a QNAP QSW-M408-2C (returned), then a QNAP QSW-1105-5T (moved to another location) and finally a Netgear MS510TX.

I have actually had three different switches in that spot. First was a QNAP QSW-M408-2C (returned), then a QNAP QSW-1105-5T (moved to another location) and finally a Netgear MS510TX.
Between QNAP QSW-1105-5T and MS510TX, which would you recommend, I'm looking to link a GT-AX11000 to two XT8s?

@HTBruceM, you are overthinking this. :)
Yeah not the first time THAT has happened.
And with AiMesh v2.0 and those 2.5GbE ports, I do. No other configuration works as well or with lower latency (it's like I'm connected to the main router, always).
So just to press the point (gently;) ) you're saying that your overall experience is NOT AS GOOD with the backhaul using the 1gbps ports?
Can you quantify? BTW this isn't worth taking your network down and running a bunch of experiments... I'm just curious if you happen to have taken any measurements/data.

The RT-AX86U is the lowest latency router I have ever purchased. I bought two to see how AiMesh v2.0 worked (wireless backhaul). Not only was that disappointing compared to the single RT-AX86U (but the same as all other wireless backhaul AiMesh or Repeater setups I've tested over the years), even over a wired connection the network was 'less'.

When I read the thread that 2.5GbE backhaul worked and found that it worked for me with 100' of mere Cat5e cable, the wired performance jumped back up to where I consider as a baseline for the RT-AX86U's (i.e. excellent) and the wireless performance everywhere in the property more fully exploited the 1Gbps symmetrical ISP speeds I pay for. Particularly with Intel AX210 Wi-Fi adaptors in my laptops.

What this is all leading up to say is that measurements weren't needed. It was that obvious how superior two wired AiMesh v2.0 RT-AX86U's are.

Even compared to any combination of RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U too.

I don't use the 1Gbps ports as backhaul. They are too valuable wiring up wirable client devices instead. :)

What this is all leading up to say is that measurements weren't needed. It was that obvious how superior two wired AiMesh v2.0 RT-AX86U's are.
OK so I guess it's fair to say that your experience is really an endorsement of AiMesh with 2.5gbps wired backhaul in lieu of WiFi backhaul. Totally down with that. My point was that AiMesh with 1gbps wired backhaul may be nearly identical to AiMesh with 2.5gbps wired backhaul (given the configurations discussed). BTW I don't have the gear to say one way or another - I'm just spit-balling some guesses here.

I concur with @L&LD. It really is about sharing the access of central resources on the internal network equally well via any of the access points to which the consuming devices are connected, like to Plex for streaming for multiple people at once. But as you say, if the thing you're interested in connecting to is over your 1G internet connection, then the 2.5G backhaul does not provide any benefit for that specific purpose.

I concur with @L&LD. It really is about sharing the access of central resources on the internal network equally well via any of the access points to which the consuming devices are connected, like to Plex for streaming for multiple people at once. But as you say, if the thing you're interested in connecting to is over your 1G internet connection, then the 2.5G backhaul does not provide any benefit for that specific purpose.
How can you connect the Plex server in this configuration to take advantage of the 2.5gbps? A 2.5gbps switch or link aggregation would be needed. Am I missing something?

BTW I would probably connect it up with 2.5gb backhaul too, lacking a switch, because, why not. :)

Last edited:
Me too. Backhaul between 2 AX86s, with a 2.5GBe switch in-between. I set up the node with the backhaul cable plugged into the WAN port, moved it to the 2.5GB port, rebooted and has worked since.

The backhaul graphic is incorrect. All three nodes should show as coming off the first AX86, but it has shown this way since I switched to the 2.5GB backhaul.

View attachment 33525
Hi, I am completely new here. I was trying to set 2 x86u via 2.5g backhaul, but can not change WAN on node?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!