What's new

2 AX-86U's working via 2.5Gb Backhaul

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Island

Regular Contributor
Greetings all. Was able to upgrade my trusty Aimesh home network from AC-86U's to the AX versions. I was able to get the 2nd AX connected and added as a node. I then enabled the Dual wan setting for the main router and set up the secondary as Ethernet/Lan. I then connected to both 2.5Gb ports on the main router/Node and I am happy to report that it shows as 2.5 Gb connection. I left the Backhaul settings on auto.

Seems like everything is working fine. Only issue is when logged into the router and under Network settings. It displays the secondary WAN and has a red X stating, "The Network cable is unplugged." Is this displaying just because I have the 2nd Wan port enabled, but am using it for Lan? It does give me the option to turn off the Secondary internet connection, but if I do that will that disable to 2.5 Gb port? I hope I configured everything correctly and is shows that I am connected to Backhaul at 2.5 Gb, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

Greetings all. Was able to upgrade my trusty Aimesh home network from AC-86U's to the AX versions. I was able to get the 2nd AX connected and added as a node. I then enabled the Dual wan setting for the main router and set up the secondary as Ethernet/Lan. I then connected to both 2.5Gb ports on the main router/Node and I am happy to report that it shows as 2.5 Gb connection. I left the Backhaul settings on auto.

Seems like everything is working fine. Only issue is when logged into the router and under Network settings. It displays the secondary WAN and has a red X stating, "The Network cable is unplugged." Is this displaying just because I have the 2nd Wan port enabled, but am using it for Lan? It does give me the option to turn off the Secondary internet connection, but if I do that will that disable to 2.5 Gb port? I hope I configured everything correctly and is shows that I am connected to Backhaul at 2.5 Gb, but just want to be sure. Thanks!

So, the router 2.5GbE port (defaults to LAN) is wired to node 2.5GbE port (configured as WAN)?

Regarding the Auto backhaul settings... after awhile, you might want to see how these settings behave/compare:

- set wired node Backhaul Connection Priority to Ethernet/WAN first.
- enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release WiFi for client use (no backup/failover to wireless backhaul).

OE

So, the router 2.5GbE port (defaults to LAN) is wired to node 2.5GbE port (configured as WAN)?

Regarding the Auto backhaul settings... after awhile, you might want to see how these settings behave/compare:

- set wired node Backhaul Connection Priority to Ethernet/WAN first.
- enable Ethernet Backhaul Mode to release WiFi for client use (no backup/failover to wireless backhaul).

OE
TY for the quick reply Ozark. U are always very helpful on this forum. Apologize for the Noob question, but to clarify, Should I have not enabled dual WAN then? I have read so many threads regarding use of the AX-86U's 2.5 Gb port and always read that Dual WAN needs to be enabled, but is that only for USE as a WAN? So should I just disable dual WAN and the 2.5 Gb port should be enabled for Ethernet/Lan by Default then once I connect the Main router and node via their 2.5 Gb ports? Thanks again!

TY for the quick reply Ozark. U are always very helpful on this forum. Apologize for the Noob question, but to clarify, Should I have not enabled dual WAN then? I have read so many threads regarding use of the AX-86U's 2.5 Gb port and always read that Dual WAN needs to be enabled, but is that only for USE as a WAN? So should I just disable dual WAN and the 2.5 Gb port should be enabled for Ethernet/Lan by Default then once I connect the Main router and node via their 2.5 Gb ports? Thanks again!

Router defaults to a 2.5 LAN port, so ready to use for the wired backhaul.

Node needs configuration, but not for dual wan... yes, sharing the Dual WAN tab for both dual WAN and 2.5 port configuration is confusing. All you need is this for a 2.5 WAN port:

1654197975746.png

And the node default WAN/Internet port then becomes LAN port5.

OE

Router defaults to a 2.5 LAN port, so ready to use for the wired backhaul.

Node needs configuration, but not for dual wan... yes, sharing the Dual WAN tab for both dual WAN and 2.5 port configuration is confusing. All you need is this for a 2.5 WAN port:

View attachment 41535

And the node default WAN/Internet port then becomes LAN port5.

OE
U are right....Very confusing. OK. My ISP is a 1Gb connection. I have my WAN cable from My ISP drop connected to the Blue Primary WAN input on the back of my Main Router. I Have the AX-86U node connected via Backhaul and my Ethernet cable is plugged into BOTH 2.5 Ports on the main router and mesh node. So as your picture referenced above, I still check the 2.5G WAN for the primary router? Thanks!

So as your picture referenced above, I still check the 2.5G WAN for the primary router? Thanks!

AiMesh = router/AP (root node) + nodes (optional)

Hereafter, "router" and "node(s)".

No. Leave the router at its default... the 2.5 port is a LAN port.

Only configure the node 2.5 port to be a WAN port as shown above.

ISP 1G <wire> 1G WAN router 2.5G LAN <wire> 2.5G WAN node

OE

How do you configure the Node? There is no access to the GUI.

Duh. You're right!

So just try it as is... node 2.5G LAN port.

Unconfiguring Dual WAN on the router may get rid of the red X stating, "The Network cable is unplugged."

If only I had your closet full of routers, I wouldn't have to extrapolate/guess so much.

OE

Last edited:
How do you configure the Node? There is no access to the GUI.
Duh. You're right!

So just try it as is... node 2.5G LAN port.

Unconfiguring Dual WAN on the router may get rid of the red X stating, "The Network cable is unplugged."

If only I had your closet full of routers, I wouldn't have to extrapolate/guess so much.

OE
Yes.....I was totally confused..... Could not find anywhere to configure the NODE. Then I tried as what Ozark stated to do and lost internet connection...... Went back, disabled Dual Wan, and set primary to just WAN, rebooted and back on line. And..... Ethernet Backhaul is connected via 2.5 Gb =)

This is with my Cat5e cable plugged into both 2.5 Gb ports on the main AX-86U router and the AX-86U running as a Mesh Node.... Confusing and long day! Thanks for the replies!

Yes.....I was totally confused..... Could not find anywhere to configure the NODE. Then I tried as what Ozark stated to do and lost internet connection...... Went back, disabled Dual Wan, and set primary to just WAN, rebooted and back on line. And..... Ethernet Backhaul is connected via 2.5 Gb =)

This is with my Cat5e cable plugged into both 2.5 Gb ports on the main AX-86U router and the AX-86U running as a Mesh Node.... Confusing and long day! Thanks for the replies!

Sounds right.

And the red X is gone, yes?

OE

Sounds right.

And the red X is gone, yes?

OE
GONE-ZO =)

This entire Dual WAN split GUI panel must be gone.
Agree completely. Makes it very confusing. Oh well.... Now I have 4 Asus routers total running in Aimesh..... Keeping one of my trusty old AC-86U's in my garage and my Trusty old 3100 downstairs in my Livingroom. My house is 3900 SF, and probably overkill with having 4 routers, but enjoy tinkering and probably upgrade to 6e in a few years once it matures more.... Such is the tech life =) Thanks again fellas!

If only I had your closet full of routers

All Asus routers with exception of one RT-AC86U are gone - donated through charity. A local ISP provided $10/month service and modems, the routers will provide Wi-Fi to not so fortunate families. AC86U stays because it is heavily modified, AC5300 was disposed because it had non-working radio. Few of the other routers were donated too. I will update About page in my profile this Sunday.

You don't have Dual WAN configuration and there was no need to enable it. It doesn't work anyway.

Too many routers using the same channels make your Wi-Fi environment worse. Reduce the number to the minimum required.
I've been lurking this forum for awhile and have read many posts by you talking about this. I thought you would post this after I made mine. Yeah, I understand what you mean when you talk about too many routers with WIFI handoff issues with overlapping. I've been running 3 in Aimesh for the last 3 years and have not really experienced any issues. I'm sure there are Pros and Cons with each setup.

I started with one router like 10 years ago and it worked fine for a long time. Then I got into Smart home with Z-wave devices, Alexa, etc. Now I have almost 100 clients in my house hold and so far so good. Other then possibly having handoff issues with Wireless devices while I move through my home, what other concerns could you point out with having more routers? Like I said, I have read many posts by you and do value your helpful feedback. Thank you!

I don't know how busy your network is, but 4 routers sharing the same channel share the available bandwidth as well. I've done multiple experiments with AiMesh (same channel) and AP (different channels) configuration and the AP consistently outperforms AiMesh, in some cases up to 100%. Depending on your routers location, too many may cause sticky clients and reduced data transfer rates, as perhaps you already have noticed. In my tests AiMesh works best when the routers are at -65/70dBm. Folks tend to "find use" for old routers and oversaturate Wi-Fi for no reason.

I don't know how busy your network is, but 4 routers sharing the same channel share the available bandwidth as well. I've done multiple experiments with AiMesh (same channel) and AP (different channels) configuration and the AP consistently outperforms AiMesh, in some cases up to 100%. Depending on your routers location, too many may cause sticky clients and reduced data transfer rates, as perhaps you already have noticed. In my tests AiMesh works best when the routers are at -65/70dBm. Folks tend to "find use" for old routers and oversaturate Wi-Fi for no reason.
Thanks for the feedback. I also read a lot of your posts regarding AP mode. Only issue for me is that all my Routers are hard wired except my 3100 due to location. I need it next to my fish tank for Apex aquarium control and there is no way to drop a ethernet cable from where the aquarium is located. Also, I just find Mesh to be much more user friendly as I am not an IT guru and everything seems to be working fine.

Still confused on the whole WIFI6/AX protocol and knowing if it's even working. I have it enabled on both 2/5 Ghz settings, but am running WPA2-personal, not 3 or mixed. I read that there are a lot of issues with clients when using other then WPA2, and correct me if I am wrong but don't I need WPA 3 for my iPhone13 to switch to WIFI 6 protocol? Anyways, thanks again for the feedback. I may just continue testing and se what works best for my home scenario.

but don't I need WPA 3 for my iPhone13 to switch to WIFI 6

No, it's optional. WPA3 requires Protected Management Frames (PMF) and some clients may have issues. Your phone doesn't really need Wi-Fi 6. iPhones have 2-stream radio, up to 1200Mbps link rate on AX (no 160MHz wide channel support), about 800Mbps throughput. What is this iPhone going to do with it? Wi-Fi 5 can do 550Mbps throughput. Can you tell the difference on your phone's screen?

No, it's optional. WPA3 requires Protected Management Frames (PMF) and some clients may have issues. Your phone doesn't really need Wi-Fi 6. iPhones have 2-stream radio, up to 1200Mbps link rate on AX (no 160MHz wide channel support), about 800Mbps throughput. What is this iPhone going to do with it? Wi-Fi 5 can do 550Mbps throughput. Can you tell the difference on your phone's screen?
Haha...You're completely right. 5Ghz works fine for my last 6-7 iPhones. Just wanted to see what AX could provide. I was going to get an 6e router but don't even have any clients, and I've had my AC86u's for almost 4 years so I decided to try the AX-86U's. With the newer hardware my system does seem snappier though, but could be placebo. Anyways, Thanks again as always Tech9!

Just wanted to see what AX could provide.

You can get better speed test. No big change in user experience, if you are coming from a good Wi-Fi 5 system.

With the newer hardware my system does seem snappier though

Newer hardware, fresh firmware. Ask your wife and kids if they see any difference. If they do, use it in support for your $500 expense.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!