What's new

2 clients can't connect to internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT Strickland

Very Senior Member
Hi folks,
Anyone have any ideas why a roku tv and an amazon firestick won't connect to the internet? They used to. I don't know if it started with 384.19, but it was about then.
They are connecting to home network, just no internet.
thanks,
jts

Have you tried turning them off and on?

If that dose not fix it are they getting the correct gateway, mask and DNS server?

Good luck,

Morris

Check the IP address they report as well as the mask, gateway and dns server. It should be the same as the address in the network map.

Thanks, guys, I did learn that the firestick shows the date as August 17 and time as 3 am when it is about 11 pm. I checked my ntpmerlin and saw that "redirect all traffic through ntpmerlin" was toggled off. I turned that back on and I am hoping that is what it was. I must have overlooked it when I reinstalled all the scripts and a new usb drive after 384.19.

The firestick shows the correct local ip of 192.168.1.143, and dns server and gateway both are the router local ip of 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 from memory, and I think these numbers are correct. The roku TV isn't showing up on the network map currently, although it says it is connected to the network.

Another client I forgot to mention, my wife's iPhone won't connect and stay connected. She is always getting messages about using the cellular network instead of the wifi, and her iPhone is identical to mine, and I don't have any issues with mine. I also have a Max95X android TV box right beside the firestick and connected to the same Roku TV, and it stays connected for days, even with a client VPN app. And, my wife has a fire TV that doesn't have any problem connecting. A month ago everything was connecting to the internet.

I am hoping that it was the time toggle. Don't know where else to look.
thanks again,
jts

They are connected now, it must have been the ntpMerlin switch that was the culprit.

The only other thing I did was change passwords on my wireless network. My wife had come up with a password with a colon, comma, and a period in it, and it had always bothered me since then, so I changed it to something without special characters in it. But I don't really think that was the culprit.

Thanks for the help, suggestions, and advice.
jts

For the iPhone of your wife: on your iphone: General Reset Reset Network Settings. After the reboot login to the wifi.

Thank you, Yes, that did the trick.

They are connected now, it must have been the ntpMerlin switch that was the culprit.

The only other thing I did was change passwords on my wireless network. My wife had come up with a password with a colon, comma, and a period in it, and it had always bothered me since then, so I changed it to something without special characters in it. But I don't really think that was the culprit.

Thanks for the help, suggestions, and advice.
jts
Special characters have been many a programmers nightmare…

Thank you, Yes, that did the trick.
Apple has the tendency to store some hidden and undocumented "goodies" that cause trouble when you update the firmware of a router. The reset network settings removes those and when you make a new connection to the router it will store another set of "goodies".

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!