What's new

2 HDD mount problem (too early mount)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

james-gt

New Around Here
Hi,

I attached a 2nd HDD to my AC56U and now everything starts to fall apart.

384.4_2, 5TB ext4 Toshiba on USB3, 8TB Seagate ext4 on USB2.

The problem is that the 8TB HDD is mounted (as sda1) very quickly but after that looks like that some USB reconfiguration happens (adding a hub?). From here things vary depending on how things happen in order.

1. Everything works (30% of reboots)
sda1 8TB is unmounted, then sda1 5TB is mounted, then sdb1 8TB is mounted.
2. 8TB appears as sdc1, sda1 is not available at this moment, but still shows up in the output of mount command. sdc1 is mounted to /tmp/mnt/seagate(1) since /tmp/mnt/seagate is still there. Then seagate is unmounted, but the (1) suffix is not acceptable in my network (DownloadMaster neither likes it) and anyhow this is not deterministic and everything strongly relies on the paths, like FTP or NFS.

Trying to fix the issue I dig into the custom scripts and configs. I added my fstab and used UUIDs for the two ext4 partitions and created 5tb and 8tb folders in the init-script into the /tmp/mnt folder.
This is a bit more reliable, but just a bit, since in the case 2 above described sometimes I get into a weird situation. when unmount script runs (which is a pre script and unfortunately there is no post-unmount) there are two entries in the mount table for /tmp/mnt/8tb, one for sda1 and one for sdc1 and the later is just removed, but after my script. So I used sleep 10 && mount -a to solve that.

The whole problem with my solution is still that now after a short time the mounts are looking good, but the services are running, like NFS shows the 8tb, but cannot access it.

Probably I can dig deeper into this deadend by trying to fix it, but probably it would be better to handle somehow in the boot proccess by the firmware.

Maybe the best would be if automount would be optional and by using the UUIDs there will be a web interface where we can set up names of mounts. Hmm, but that would not resolve in itself the problem that an HDD is mounted twice...

For some reason I cannot put the log here, but tell me if it helps.