What's new

2-NIC NAS support 2 inside LANs?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MrPete

Occasional Visitor
We are setting up a proof-of-concept in-house network (that will also be our "real" network... just overkill for our actual need...).

In a DMZ LAN we'll have a pair of email servers configured for failover. They are to share a NAS for email queue and mailbox storage.

In the local LAN, we need a NAS for file serving.

I'm looking at all these NAS boxes that have 2 gigabit NICs...and thinking maybe I can accomplish two goals with one NAS.

Do any and/or all vendors (Thecus, QNAP, Synology, Netgear, etc) with multi-NIC boxes support the following?

- NAS service on two physically separate LANs
- ability to offer same and/or different shares on the two LANs (I'm mostly interested in SMB, although we seem to be adding some Macs to our mix.)

Or... do I need to have two NASes?

Ideally, I'd like to offer an "email" share on the DMZ, and all shares (including the email partition) on the inside LAN (which would also simplify our backup system a bit)

Your thoughts and experiences with this mucho appreciated!

Multi-NIC NASes can generally support two different subnets.
But you can't assign shares (or services) to a specific NIC port.

Hmmm... sounds just like normal SAMBA.

Obviously, I *can* set security for different shares. Better than nothing but not perfect.

I personally like to keep DMZ servers specific to the task...

But if that's not your concern, one advantage to two NAS' would be the potential to backup to each other.

Roger.