What's new

2 rooms, how to create wireless?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paapaa

Occasional Visitor
Noob question about wifi + mesh.

There are 2 rooms which both have ethernet cabling. These cables are connected to a single "electric box" which also receives the actual internet connection. All are RJ45 connectors. Let's assume there is a router also in the electric box. The rooms are separated so that a wifi AP in one has quite bad signal in the other room.

What benefits and drawbacks these methods have:

1. Put a mesh WiFi AP to one room and connect it via ethernet to internet. Put another identical mesh AP to the other room without using ethernet connection with it.
2. Put a mesh WiFi AP to one room and connect it via ethernet to internet. Put another identical mesh AP to the other room and connect it also using ethernet.
3. Put two different (brand and model) non-mesh wifi APs to both rooms and connect both with ethernet. Use the same SSID and frequency for both.

Does 3 work less reliably than 1 or 2 in terms of client devices moved between rooms? 2 is the most expensive as I need a router in the box and 2 mesh APs in the rooms. But might be worth it?

You can only connect an AP via wired connection only.

What do you consider a 'bad signal' when you only use one AP in one of these rooms? Can you locate the AP in the room closer/farther and higher/lower than where it is/was tested right now? You may find that is all that is needed to light up the second room enough for WiFi to be useable there too.

What are your ISP speeds?

Can you move the main router out of the electric box? The worst place for a router.

Do you have a diagram to show how this is actually laid out for us?

I prefer, and build for friends, a single wireless router statically set to non-overlapping center channels. I then downstream connect via ethernet (so user port to user port) another router and set it to "AP Mode". I run it on a different center channel.

I prefer this method as I have double the available, bandwidth, less question about mylti-path, reduced contention for transmit/receive moments, and minimal latency.

Similarly, I hard wire everything I can that's close to the AP's. My downstream, an RT-AX68, sits by the TV in the great room. Gaming, streaming TV, TV's, Alexa, security system, DVR, and etc are all hardwired.

Basically 2.4 is used only for "Smart Devices", 5G is for mobility devices, and everything else is hard-wired.

You can only connect an AP via wired connection only.
Ok, I probably use the term "AP" incorrectly. I meant a mesh router/device which "extends" the WiFi wirelessly.
What do you consider a 'bad signal' when you only use one AP in one of these rooms? Can you locate the AP in the room closer/farther and higher/lower than where it is/was tested right now? You may find that is all that is needed to light up the second room enough for WiFi to be useable there too.

So the situation is that WiFi works fine in the room where the WiFi router is now located but the devices might not even connect to it in the other room. Currently I don't have long enough cables to test different positioning of the WiFi router. But will surely try to test it before buying any new equipment. Thanks for the tip!

What are your ISP speeds?

Currently 75M. Soon 400M/200M or more.

Can you move the main router out of the electric box? The worst place for a router.
The router inside the box is not the wireless router. Just a router+switch passing the network to other rooms using ethernet.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!