What's new

2 Routers 1 modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul467

New Around Here
Hi,
I have the following setup of a virgin superhub in modem mode with an asus rt-n66u router connected running open vpn which I use over wifi. This is working fine but would like to connect an asus rt-n56u as well so I would have the n66u wifi running vpn for my roku boxes to connect to and the n56u with normal wifi connection for my laptop, ipad, phones etc. I would like this as I do have trouble with certain sites like banking etc when going through vpn. I think this is possible as I have been searching the web and have found threads about it. But I can't find any instructions on how to do it regarding settings that need to altered on the wifi routers and superhub. If anyone has done this and can offer any help it would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Paul

It may be as simple as connecting the RT-N56U to the superhub.

If you don't get more than one IP address from your ISP, then consider a small smart switch to show only on connection to the modem, but allow you to connect two or more routers.

Something like the GS108T may be a good start.

If you double NAT the N56 behind the N66 you will be able to accomplish what you want.

Run a connection from a LAN port on the N66 to the WAN port on the N56. Put the N56 in a different subnet the the N66. (If the N66 is 192.168.1.1 then you could make the N56 192.168.2.1 ). If there is a problem you may need to put the N56 ahead of the N66.

With separate SSIDs on the two routers you can then decide if you want VPN connect to the N66 direct to the N56

I have my N66 VPN router double NATed behind my Actiontec from FIOS and don't have any problems.

Other options include using Astrill VPN and their App on your N66. Their APP lets you specify which devices connect using VPN or to write a custom script/ iptables on your N66. Search this site so you don't end up totally reinventing something that has been previously accomplished.

Using two routers is probably the simplest and gives each user maximum control of speed vs security.

If you double NAT the N56 behind the N66 you will be able to accomplish what you want.

Run a connection from a LAN port on the N66 to the WAN port on the N56. Put the N56 in a different subnet the the N66. (If the N66 is 192.168.1.1 then you could make the N56 192.168.2.1 ). If there is a problem you may need to put the N56 ahead of the N66.

With separate SSIDs on the two routers you can then decide if you want VPN connect to the N66 direct to the N56

I have my N66 VPN router double NATed behind my Actiontec from FIOS and don't have any problems.

Other options include using Astrill VPN and their App on your N66. Their APP lets you specify which devices connect using VPN or to write a custom script/ iptables on your N66. Search this site so you don't end up totally reinventing something that has been previously accomplished.

Using two routers is probably the simplest and gives each user maximum control of speed vs security.

Thanks for the reply guys. You have been a great help. Seeing as though the 66 is already running the vpn, I presume that this will have to be the end of the line so to speak. Otherwise if I put the 56 there then when I connect to it it will still be going through the 66 and the vpn.

Thanks for all your help again.

Paul

It may be as simple as connecting the RT-N56U to the superhub.

If you don't get more than one IP address from your ISP, then consider a small smart switch to show only on connection to the modem, but allow you to connect two or more routers.

Something like the GS108T may be a good start.
What kind of setup you have in mind? To which functionality of the switch are you reflecting?

The switch needs to have it's own DHCP server.

And then plug in as many routers as you want for separate networks.

Of course, make sure each router is using it's own private LAN IP space.